Go check it out. They want to meet you and pitch the program.
If a school that you have an offer from, but haven't decided whether to attend or not (I certainly haven't decided against it--in which case I'd decline, but I am still waiting for higher-ranked programs to get back to me) offers to fly you out to meet faculty and visit with students, is there anything wrong with agreeing to visit, as long as you are up front about having not made your mind up, and don't make any promises you can't keep?
That is kind of the point right? They are flying you out because they know you're unsure and they want to convince you? I don't want to waste their time or money if I get something better, but on the other hand, this is a program that isn't extremely highly ranked, but has some (on paper) really good research and faculty that I'd like to meet.
Programs "feel" different. It's not necessarily associated with rank or size either. The flyout is an invaluable chance for you to learn more about how a program looks and feels. Do people seem happy? How are the workspaces?
It's also a chance to meet people who you could work with, talk to at conferences, etc. So you should take advantage of the chance to meet them.
If you know something that, already, has made up your mind, then don't waste their time. If you have an offer from a T10 that is your dream school, I don't think there's a need to visit an R2 university that you had as a safety school.
You should definitely accept a fly-out if you are on the fence. Visiting the campus and the community around campus could help you make up your mind, and the university knows that. They are betting that you'll decide in their favor afterwards!
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)