See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really need some advice about Baruch CUNY

it gonna be a long shot

Good post? Yes | No

Really need some advice about Baruch CUNY

Sponsored Ad:
    Got an offer from Baruch.
    The marketing department at Baruch is very supportive, and they got some very nice faculty members.
    But I'm a little bit worried about Baruch's placement. They do get some decent placement to Oxford and Penn state, but I can't sure whether they are outliers or not. I know the location is very good, but will the location actually has some impact on your placement and research?
    I really need some advice about this one. Thanks a lot!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Really need some advice about Baruch CUNY

Have you checked Who Went Where?

Who Went Where | DocSIG

Assistant Professor

Good post? Yes | No

It's a good school. What are your other options?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Looking at the placements on their website, their marketing placements are very solid for a school outside the top 50 in marketing (as per UTD rankings). All of their domestic placements are within the northeast or mid-atlantic regions, mostly in the NYC metro area, so they may not be at nationally recognizable names but all are at solid AACSB accredited, MBA granting B-Schools and a number are at R2 or R3 schools, though only one of them, Fordham, offers a PhD in Business.

The PSU placement is for the Harrisburg campus, not University Park, and is similar to their other domestic placements.

it gonna be a long shot

Good post? Yes | No

For now I got Oklahoma State..I maybe have to choose from these two.
    Last edited by PuffyWZ; 03-05-2018 at 01:34 AM.

it gonna be a long shot

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by sb29 View Post
    It's a good school. What are your other options?
    For now I got Oklahoma State..I maybe have to choose from these two.

it gonna be a long shot

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianPhD View Post
    Have you checked Who Went Where?

Who Went Where | DocSIG
    Thank you for the information! I try to compare the placement of Oklahoma State and Baruch. But it seems like the placements for both schools are all pretty regional. Which one do you think maybe better for a research oriented career? Thanks again.

it gonna be a long shot

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by zshfryoh1 View Post
    Looking at the placements on their website, their marketing placements are very solid for a school outside the top 50 in marketing (as per UTD rankings). All of their domestic placements are within the northeast or mid-atlantic regions, mostly in the NYC metro area, so they may not be at nationally recognizable names but all are at solid AACSB accredited, MBA granting B-Schools and a number are at R2 or R3 schools, though only one of them, Fordham, offers a PhD in Business.

The PSU placement is for the Harrisburg campus, not University Park, and is similar to their other domestic placements.
    Thank you for the thorough analysis, I guess in the NYC region Baruch still has some reputation. My other option is Oklahoma state, and their placement is pretty regional too. So if compare these two, which one would you recommend? A research oriented career is still my most favorable choice. Thanks a lot.

Assistant Professor

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

I would suggest you go with Baruch. I don't know the culture in New York but from my experience, whenever there are other good schools in the neighborhood (Columbia, NYU), you get to meet up and interact with faculty and students from these schools and that helps in many ways. I know this is true in Singapore, Hong Kong, Paris, and London. But I would speak to few PhD students at Baruch and get a sense of the program before accepting.

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by sb29 View Post
    I would suggest you go with Baruch. I don't know the culture in New York but from my experience, whenever there are other good schools in the neighborhood (Columbia, NYU), you get to meet up and interact with faculty and students from these schools and that helps in many ways. I know this is true in Singapore, Hong Kong, Paris, and London. But I would speak to few PhD students at Baruch and get a sense of the program before accepting.
    I would first look at research fit of the school's own faculty first, but local academic culture is definitely important. All the R1 universities in the greater NYC area, Columbia, NYU, Princeton, Stony Brook, CUNY and Rutgers, as well as some of the R2 schools in the region are part of something called the "Inter-University Doctoral Consortium" which allows students to take classes at the other consortium members, and while the B-Schools at some of the above universities are not officially included, they usually permit students from other consortium schools to take classes anyway. Also from what I have been told by CUNY and Rutgers PhD students in a number of departments, PhD students from the various NYC area schools often attend each other's seminars.

I would also take into account NYC's higher cost of living, though if you live in the outer boroughs or in NJ, and rely on public transportation it is not as expensive as you might think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information