Urch Forums

PhD Business - Advice and Profile Eval.

lucky123

I'm currently doing my Undergrad degree, and was thinking about doing a PhD in a Business related field, as that's what I'm doing in my Undergrad now. I've already taken the GRE, and wanted to see if I could get any advice on the path I should take after I finish my undergrad. As of now, these are what my profile looks like:

Test Scores: I took the GRE, and my scores were 165V, 169Q, A.W. 5.0

Undergrad GPA: 3.93/4.0 in Commerce. A decent amount of Economics courses, like Intro, Intermediate and Advance Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics, Econometrics, Labour Economics, Economic Analysis of Law. But, with the amount of Accounting courses I had to take for my specialization, I didn't have the opportunity to take many math courses.

Graduate GPA: N/A

Research Experience: RA with professor that studies corporate disclosure and corporate governance.

Teaching Experience: TA during my undergrad for two Business Finance Classes and an Economics class.

Work Experience: Nothing relevant.

Edited by Erin
By request of author

I think you should find your research interest, says, finance or accounting, etc, by yourself. Your standardized tests and your undergrad are good. As my research interest is corporate finance with a concentration on corporate governance, when I see your RA experience, I assume you're interested in finance (or accounting). But I don't know. Moreover, you said you didn't take enough math courses, but we don't know what courses you took? Did you finish Cal I, II, III, probability and statistics, or any other proof-based math courses, says, real analysis? So you better take some more courses, talk to your professors, and see what makes you interested in doing original research.

Sorry, I posted a different thread and got some very good advice, so I haven't really updated to make it more specific. I'm interested in pursuing a PhD in accounting, as that is the background for my research and undergraduate studies.

I have two areas of interest in research. The professor I RA’ed did research mainly on Corporate Governance and Corporate disclosures, which I found very interesting. Otherwise, I’m also interested in the relationship between financial information and valuation, as the course I TA-ed for was actually a corporate finance course for basic valuation.

In my undergrad, I've taken Calc I and II, Linear Algebra, Intro Statistics, and Multivariable Calculus. I have not taken a Real Analysis course.

As for Economics courses, I've taken intro, intermediate and advanced microeconomics, intermediate macroeconomics, economic analysis of law, econometrics and labour economics.

Before I apply for PhD programs, I will be pursuing a masters of economics, so I will have some graduate level economics courses, as well as trying to get another RA position before I start applying.