Sponsored Ad:

Thread: PhD Business - Advice and Profile Eval.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Smile PhD Business - Advice and Profile Eval.

Sponsored Ad:
    I'm currently doing my Undergrad degree, and was thinking about doing a PhD in a Business related field, as that's what I'm doing in my Undergrad now. I've already taken the GRE, and wanted to see if I could get any advice on the path I should take after I finish my undergrad. As of now, these are what my profile looks like:

Test Scores: I took the GRE, and my scores were 165V, 169Q, A.W. 5.0
    Undergrad GPA: 3.93/4.0 from the University of Toronto in Commerce. A decent amount of Economics courses, like Intro, Intermediate and Advance Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics, Econometrics, Labour Economics, Economic Analysis of Law. But, with the amount of Accounting courses I had to take for my specialization, I didn't have the opportunity to take many math courses.
    Graduate GPA: N/A
    Research Experience: RA with professor that studies corporate disclosure and corporate governance.

Teaching Experience: TA during my undergrad for two Business Finance Classes and an Economics class.
    Work Experience: Nothing relevant.
    Last edited by lucky123; 04-06-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: PhD Business - Advice and Profile Eval.

I think you should find your research interest, says, finance or accounting, etc, by yourself. Your standardized tests and your undergrad are good. As my research interest is corporate finance with a concentration on corporate governance, when I see your RA experience, I assume you're interested in finance (or accounting). But I don't know. Moreover, you said you didn't take enough math courses, but we don't know what courses you took? Did you finish Cal I, II, III, probability and statistics, or any other proof-based math courses, says, real analysis? So you better take some more courses, talk to your professors, and see what makes you interested in doing original research.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: PhD Business - Advice and Profile Eval.

Sorry, I posted a different thread and got some very good advice, so I haven't really updated to make it more specific. I'm interested in pursuing a PhD in accounting, as that is the background for my research and undergraduate studies.

I have two areas of interest in research. The professor I RAed did research mainly on Corporate Governance and Corporate disclosures, which I found very interesting. Otherwise, Im also interested in the relationship between financial information and valuation, as the course I TA-ed for was actually a corporate finance course for basic valuation.

In my undergrad, I've taken Calc I and II, Linear Algebra, Intro Statistics, and Multivariable Calculus. I have not taken a Real Analysis course.

As for Economics courses, I've taken intro, intermediate and advanced microeconomics, intermediate macroeconomics, economic analysis of law, econometrics and labour economics.

Before I apply for PhD programs, I will be pursuing a masters of economics, so I will have some graduate level economics courses, as well as trying to get another RA position before I start applying.

Thread Information