Urch Forums

Laptop recommendations

TaxGal

I figure since things are slowing down and the last thread I found was from years ago maybe we could have a new laptop thread for incoming students. I get to pick a new laptop for my program and I could use some help and I’m sure other incoming students could as well. I’m a pc person debating between XPS 15 or Asus Zenbook myself.

Maybe we could post what area we are in and what laptop we have and pros and cons.

I am a strong proponent of using a desktop if you are planning on using the machine heavily for SAS and STATA work. I have had some negative experiences with laptops when trying to make heavy use of these software programs with large datasets. Others may have had differing experiences.

I am a strong proponent of using a desktop if you are planning on using the machine heavily for SAS and STATA work. I have had some negative experiences with laptops when trying to make heavy use of these software programs with large datasets. Others may have had differing experiences.

I have had similar issues. If you get a laptop with a solid state drive it might work better.

If your school has a server that you can run SAS/STATA on, then needing a desktop won't be an issue. As long as you have a decent laptop you can log on to the server remotely.

I am in marketing. I am a proponent of using a desktop for data analysis. As others have noted, if you have server access for SAS/STATA, a laptop with enough RAM should be fine.

Personally I use a Razer Blade Stealth as a laptop. It's extremely portable and light so it's great for working anywhere and for conference travel. I use my desktop for heavier workloads and for writing longer periods of time.