Urch Forums

Preparing for PhD Program (Micro OB)

uak

Hi Everyone,

I got admitted to a PhD Program in OB(micro) for the Fall 2018 intake. I was wondering what advice people have in terms of preparing for the program? Is there anything you would have done before you started the program now that you are in the program?

I have heard that its important to brush up on statistics and get familiar with structured equation modelling and multi-level. Can someone suggest good resources for brushing up on stats especially within the micro OB context?

I was also told that its important to get familiar with a statistical software. I have used STATA before but my hunch is that most OB people don't use STATA. Is it worthwhile spending time to get comfortable with R or is it better to stick to SPSS?

I was told by my program coordinator that the more ready I am in terms of stats and current issues in OB-research, the earlier I can get started on projects with faculty members.

Thanks!

I am also newly admitted, and to Macro OB, so take this with a grain of salt.

Stata is important. I taught SPSS and while it is limited in many ways, many a research in psychology can be done with it without problems. R is a favorite of mine, but when taken with other software packages in mind, its strengths lie in the data carpentry stage (as well as its uncanny statistical prowess which is truly beyond my reach). All this is good and fine, but the best thing to do is: (1) look at the methods courses and see which statistical packages they use - that's your no.1 priority, and (2) talk candidly to your potential advisor(s) and ask them outright what they use in their research.

I would definitely recommend reaching out to current students in your program and asking them which software is most appropriate. At my university, Strategy folks tend to use Stata and R whereas micro folks use SPSS, Mplus, and a little bit of R.

Besides analysis software, you may also want to ask for the syllabus for the seminar(s) you will take in the fall. Many of the current PhD students will have these and it will give you the opportunity to read an article or two and start thinking about class deliverables.