Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Profile Evaluation - Management (2019)

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Profile Evaluation - Management (2019)

Sponsored Ad:
    I would like to hear what you folks think about my packet for the schools in the 25 - 60 range, will be submitting for early deadlines in December 2018/January 2019..

Test Scores (GRE): 161Q (80%) 159V (80%) 4.5 AW (80%)

Undegrad GPA: 3.89 (Business, accounting focus)
    Graduate GPA: 3.80 (MBA with a finance specialization)
    Research Experience: Fairly strong with data analysis and computation; independent study in statistics (not published)
    Teaching Experience: Coaching with Executives (with former professor, LOR writer)
    Letter of Recommendation: Strong letters from graduate professors (I also write a killer personal statement)
    Work Experience: Extensive, 10+ years across multiple industries; I currently serve as a financial services examiner with a state agency (safety and soundness compliance)

Concentration Applying to: Management: Entrepreneurship, Strategy, International Business/Project/Portfolio Management
    Number of programs planned to apply to: 8 - 12
    Dream Schools: University of Virginia, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, University of Texas at Austin, University of California-Irvine, Vanderbilt University
    Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD? I am overflowing with research ideas that my mentors consider interesting and I want to make a contribution that will stand the test of time.

Questions or concerns you have about your profile? I went the University of Phoenix for my undergrad (physical campus, at night, while working 50+ hours!)

Any additional specific questions you may have: I would like to consider myself a very solid applicant for schools in the 60 - 100 rankings, give or take a few spots. Schools like UC-Riverside (68th), University of South Carolina (62nd), and University of Georgia (63rd, and a LORs Alma Mater) feel like as-close-to-comfort picks as I can get from a tier 1 research university (rankings are my custom rankings).

Thanks for your thoughts!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation - Management (2019)

I would say you have a decent shot. Would probably go 25-100 range to be safe.
    I would highly recommend attending this:
    Call for Nominations for the 2018 SMA Pre-Doctoral Consortium - Southern Management Association
    several of the schools you are targeting will be there and this is a great networking opportunity.

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks for this information. I would like to know if this consortium is selective since the form requires a reference. Besides, is it general for all management areas? I speculate that micro and macro may have different preferences in terms of the admission process. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Good post? Yes | No

Good call, I attended the SMA in 2017 at St. Pete Beach as a Pre-Doctoral Candidate. It was super fun, and I enjoyed everyone I met; however, I was not yet ready to mingle like some of the other pre-docs were considering that I was very new to the thought of a PhD. Now that I have had 6 months to mull over the idea and do some serious research, I am ready to start whittling down my list to those schools which I actually see myself at for 4-5 years.

With that, I don't want to sell myself short on my top few applications because I will be a productive researcher, I don't see a future where that is not the case.

Thanks for the insight!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Mingming View Post
    Thanks for this information. I would like to know if this consortium is selective since the form requires a reference. Besides, is it general for all management areas? I speculate that micro and macro may have different preferences in terms of the admission process. Thanks in advance for your reply.
    I would say it is moderately selective.

Only 20 students were provided with a reimbursement stipend, I believe a few made the trip on their own dime.

The Southern Management Association is generally management related. There are researchers studying OB/HR, Strategy, Entrepreneurship, Family Business, Research Methods, and others.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

For competitiveness - think of improving the Quant score in the GRE.
    It is hard to know in advance whether your statement is really good or not. If a professor that went to a similar tier program as you aim at read it and thinks it's rockin', than it's likely good enough. I would focus on research fit to the faculty and name specific faculty you want to work with and briefly state why (although this should be self evident from the rest of the statement). If you did research for a professor, make sure she/he is an LOR writer. I might be odd if not. The better the program the more research-focused it wants your own profile/LORs/Statement to be (generally speaking). Hope this helps.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by late bloomer View Post
    I would say it is moderately selective.

Only 20 students were provided with a reimbursement stipend, I believe a few made the trip on their own dime.

The Southern Management Association is generally management related. There are researchers studying OB/HR, Strategy, Entrepreneurship, Family Business, Research Methods, and others.
    Thanks for your reply. I have reached out to the coordinator and got some information. Yeah, there are only 25 slots. I will try to get into the consortium. I also would like to know the importance of reference for this consortium application. Any ideas from you attendees are helpful. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mingming; 04-11-2018 at 01:50 AM.

Thread Information