Urch Forums

Typical admission process

ThePhDAspirant

Wanted to hear from veterans as well as 2018 intake folks what the typical post acceptance process is and its timeline.

Mainly, after receiving the offer of admission and confirming intent to enroll, by when does rest of the process of receiving detailed offer package with insurance, reporting date etc transpire?

It's a lot of information really, for a long time. I don't remember a timeline for everything that happened.

I got my offer in March, with information about stuff like stipend.

In April I got the I-20, with information related to it (Visa). About that time I was also granted access to the university's system, where I could check things like housing if I decided to live on campus.

In June I started to get a lot of information about paperwork, rules, policies, who should I contact if I had questions (this really is the person who helped me a lot at that time, and still helps).

I arrived in the US in August and then the amount of information and paperwork was huge.

I don't know about US candidates.

Remember that paperwork in the case of international candidates is a lot more than just enrolling in courses, and stuff like that. There are things to do with the government (getting SSN, for example), with the human resources (since you are an employee), with the bank (since you need an account to get your stipend), with the parking (if you have a car) or public transportation (to get a card to pay fare at reduced student price) offices, with the finance department (check tuition waiver, for example) and a lot of small stuff. And sometimes it is hard to know the right order to do things, what to do first, what to do later.

I did very little by email. There was a lot to do using the university system (which is not that easy to navigate and understand) and many physical forms to fill.