Urch Forums

why is it so hard for australian/non us phds to work in usa schools?

littlepink

am i correct to observe a us/non us phd divide in business academia?

if u attend an aussie school, u have a decent chance of placing in non us regions (aus/europe/hk/etc) but your chances of placing in the usa is very low and difficult.

in academia, there seems to be a border between us and non us schools with very tough visa rules.:crushed:

am i correct to observe a us/non us phd divide in business academia?

if u attend an aussie school, u have a decent chance of placing in non us regions (aus/europe/hk/etc) but your chances of placing in the usa is very low and difficult.

in academia, there seems to be a border between us and non us schools with very tough visa rules.:crushed:

I'm Australian and I'm heading to a T10 school for PhD in the US, so this is just not true. There is no bias based on geographical boundaries, its hard for anyone to get in because of the nature of the competition. Just work hard, try your best and hope for the best.

I think that it's partially a selection issue and partially bias. I think that if you want a tenure track position in the US it's definitely possible to get one out of an Australian program, probably equally as easily as it is for someone from a US school. I do think that there is bias since Australian programs often (not all of them) follow the European model of doctorates. So they're shorter and are set up differently than US programs. Because of this it can be difficult for US schools to understand. That being said, if you come of an Australian program with multiple A publications, (or even just a few under review in some areas) you won't have an issue finding a job.

I think that it's partially a selection issue and partially bias. I think that if you want a tenure track position in the US it's definitely possible to get one out of an Australian program, probably equally as easily as it is for someone from a US school. I do think that there is bias since Australian programs often (not all of them) follow the European model of doctorates. So they're shorter and are set up differently than US programs. Because of this it can be difficult for US schools to understand. That being said, if you come of an Australian program with multiple A publications, (or even just a few under review in some areas) you won't have an issue finding a job.

no one has done it before in the g8 uni i am attending. i googled every placement possible. one person did post doc in usa 2 years then gave up went to industry. another did visiting professor in very low ranked uni not sure how that will turn out.

sure if u have multiple as then harvard wants u. but for average folks, maybe one or two pubs (bs), it is impossible.

in fact it looks pretty scary, only 70% went on to academic jobs, a few still on temp positions years later.

• 2 months later...

IMHO:

It has nothing to do with "visa issues" and everything to do with different approaches to PhD education, research, and accreditation.

There is a reason why PhD students from top European schools where the PhD programs are structured similarly to US R1 schools get jobs at top US schools all the time. I'm talking about INSEAD, LBS, Bocconi, HEC Paris, etc... Some others as well..

• 2 weeks later...