Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Renege PhD offers and re-apply in this December?

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Renege PhD offers and re-apply in this December?

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by YaSvoboden View Post
    Trust the person that is more experienced. We have interviewed students at our school that left an impression that still matters. We had someone get an offer from our school as their only offer and decide not to do a PhD that year. I don't think this would seriously hurt your chances of getting into a PhD program next year, but it could affect your odds of getting a job at that school or other schools where those professors or their PhD students end up. If you are only doing this because you think you could get into a slightly better school, I do not think it is a good idea.
    Also, in the OP's case they already accepted the offer. It is one thing to turn down an offer without accepting it before April 15 even if the reason is not good, and I doubt that would hurt except perhaps for applications at that particular school the next cycle. But reneging on an accepted offer, especially after April 15 sends a bad signal as the OP's professor said. As YaS mentioned, trust an experienced professor over current grad students.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

You absolutely cannot discount what everyone is saying in this thread. You should want to go to a school because you want to work with the professors, not so you can consider yourself a member of some elite hierarchy because say, you get into NYU. You absolutely can do a great PhD at a lower ranked school and a Bad PhD at a top school. I have not applied to programs yet, however I will share an anecdote. The school that I received my MBA at had a assistant finance professor who got his PhD at University of Chicago. In fact, Eugene Fama was on his dissertation committee. This professor never was able to achieve any A pubs in the five years he worked at my school, and is now working at a think tank, which granted isn't the end of the world I suppose. This same school has a tenured professor who did his PhD at Louisiana Tech and he has 4-5 A pubs.The moral of the story. You can get your PhD at University of Southern Illinois and if you get a revise and resubmit in the Journal of Financial Economics, you will probably still get an excellent academic placement. Yes there is some mild correlation between the prestige of the school, and number of PhD coauthored publications, but rankings are certainly not deterministic.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Saying it is "overstated" doesn't mean it's good, right? Just that it's not as bad as some people say. So, to me it seems the referee believes it's seriously bad, and the PhD students think it's just plain bad. It's bad anyway, as everyone here is saying too.

Good post? Yes | No

Hello! How do you think of going to the school and later on transfer? Is it better than renege, or it is even worse? I am facing a similar situation.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by anyway View Post
    Hello! How do you think of going to the school and later on transfer? Is it better than renege, or it is even worse? I am facing a similar situation.
    One of my recommenders told me that I can also transfer in the future but will need justifiable excuse such as family reasons. I know a couple of econ phds who transfered to finance but hardly know any finance phds that successfully transfered to a better finance program.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by anyway View Post
    Like the above comment suggests, transfering is fine as long as you have a good reason. There are a couple of students in my own department that transfered from other schools (one moved up, the other was a lateral move). The downside is they had to start over taking classes again. The upside is they had an extra year of research under their belts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information