Urch Forums

Conferences/ Journals to publish for Aspiring Marketing CB PhD Student

Peace123

Hi! So, I'm currently looking to apply to a marketing CB program this year. Looking at past threads, I've seen that that there were students who published/presented before getting accepted into a program. I know it is not necessary to have a publication in hand, but I would like to know what these conferences/ journals are?

Thank you!

For CB our top journal is the Journal of Consumer Research. The Journal of Marketing Research is up there. The Journal of Marketing and the Journal of Consumer Psychology are also fine journals, but not as highly respected. Before anyone jumps on this, I understand that statement is debatable. In my department this is the standard for tenure, so it is the standard which I follow.

As far as conferences the Association for Consumer Research conference is our big annual gathering. The Society for Consumer Psychology and The Society for Judgement and Decision Making are both solid choices as well, but a bit more niche. There are a few others, but these will give you the best ROI.

Good luck!

While it's certainly a good goal, It should probably be noted though that it would be extremely rare for an applicant to a PhD program to have a publication in an outlet like JCR. If an applicant has a publication, it is generally from work during a masters program in say psychology or something in which the said applicant did work in a lab that resulted in a publication, often with 6-7 authors. It's a bit of a different game in those fields than in business school disciplines.

I am not in marketing, I am in accounting, but I would actually be very skeptical of an accounting PhD applicant with a publication in one of our top journals and would need very clear evidence that he/she substantially contributed to the effort of said publication. The majority of accounting PhDs do not have an A pub. at graduation, let alone at application to PhD programs.