Urch Forums

Is there a forum such as econjobrumors for B-Schools?

FeastLumpi

Hey all,

I was wondering whether there are forums out there for business school PhDs and professors that aren‘t aimed at PhD applicants anymore. I’m thinking of forums comparable to econjobrumors.com or socjobrumors.com if any of you should be familiar with the two. Would really be cool to find something more suitable for our position.

There is a finance subforum on EJMR that has stuff from a few different business disciplines.

Honestly, that site is full of a lot of negativity. The anonymity really brings out the worst in people. I would rather try to get something on here for continuing students and even people that have gone into faculty spots.

Yeah I try to avoid those places. I know that it feels like having as much information as possible would be helpful in a job search, but really the majority of that stuff just isn't helpful. It's either people putting others down to make themselves feel less inferior, or it's people bragging about their interviews to make themselves feel less inferior.

If you are just looking for what schools are hiring there are places like that online for the different fields. I guess my question would be what do you want to gain from discussing jobs? And I'm not being snarky or anything, I legitimately am interested to know what you hope to gain? I ask because it just doesn't feel worth it to me, but there could be something that I'm misconstruing so I'd be interested to learn more.

I’ve mostly been looking at these to see if people have discussed certain cities/areas and what living situation professors can afford there. A lot of this can be found elsewhere online obviously, but after wading through all of the negativity on there, it can be nice to get somebody’s perspective on a city/area that is in a very similar situation to us and doesn’t “just” have the general take.

You mentioned other places where people look for jobs online: which sites, aside from the disciplinary associations, are you referring to here?

That's a super fair point about getting area specific information. I don't actually believe there is any place like that. Largely from what I've seen from those on the market is a fair share of talking to people who already live in those areas. Or making some assumptions about areas (which may or may not be fair). Honestly because of the world of academia being what it is, and not really having a choice about where we end up (as harsh of a reality as that is), city specific information would be pretty nice. In my search I'm relying mainly on my travels and information from my friends who consult and thus travel a lot. I was surprised at how many opinions I had of places that were the exact opposite of what people who have been there thought.

For marketing we have marketingphdjobs.org and I assume that the other areas have something similar. It's really just a site that lists all of the current openings and allows people to put up information about themselves if they want. Most of the people I know on the market really only use it for lists of who's hiring.

Yeah that’s been my experience so far as well. And while it’s better than nothing to hear from friends who go there for project-based jobs, I imagine that the experience consultants make in certain places is not necessarily representative of what most people would think ;)

Yeah that’s better than nothing. I’ll have to ask around a bit. Most of my information has been coming from listservs

For marketing, every year job market candidates are invited to join a 'secret' facebook group where people discuss openings, rumors etc and also update their job search details on an excel sheet. If I am not mistaken, Management has something similar. Ejmr carries a marketing thread every year. I would invite you to read through any year's thread to know how toxic the environment is. People show their worst side under anonymity.