Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Where should I apply? interested in computational methods for negotiations & strategy

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Lightbulb Where should I apply? interested in computational methods for negotiations & strategy

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello! Hoping to get suggestions on what types of PhD programs in business to apply to given that...

I'm interested in the following application areas: negotiations, M&A, corporate strategy
    However, I'm specifically interested in applying alternative/rigorous quantitative approaches to the areas, such as:
    • machine & deep learning
    • simulation
    • game theory & mechanism design
    • algorithm & complexity analysis

With these interests, where should I apply? A business Econ PhD program, Operations, Management?

On the one hand I'm afraid the focus in management will be too qualitative, and operations too abstract or specific to supply-chain type problems (also not confident I have the background for it), and also not sure if this falls under the scope of economics...

If it helps, my background is in mathematical economics and I have industry experience in risk analytics & modeling.

Please let me know what you think!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Where should I apply? interested in computational methods for negotiations & stra

Itís not my field at all, and I know little of it. But this sounds a bit like decision sciences? Having said that, strategy (macro management) can be as quantitative or qualitative as you make it.

Edit: example of decision science: https://www.insead.edu/phd/academics/decision-sciences

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Where should I apply? interested in computational methods for negotiations & stra

Pretty much anything business-related falls in the scope of economics. Besides that, I think Operations Research or Finance are what you're looking for. I don't think any of these programs are focused exactly what you want but you'd probably be able to pursue your interests. I also think management wouldn't be quantitative enough for you.

Good post? Yes | No

Great, thank you both for responding!

Thread Information