Urch Forums

Student Health Insurance

ThePhDAspirant

Has anyone who starts this Fall or those who are yet to graduate heard of the massive increase in student health insurance rates (mostly applicable to those with 1 or more dependents) this year? I am seeing hikes starting from a minimum $100 for 1 dependent.

In my case, I planned a cash flow based on the stipend amount in my offer. Now this sudden hike means I have to cut down somewhere else in an already tight budget. Moreover the university administration has declined to negotiate with the insurance provider.

If anyone is facing a similar issue, how are you trying to remedy the situation?

That is rough. I just graduated, so I am insulated from this change if it is systemic. It does look like unsubsidized insurance at my school has gone up by about that much. The department covered 85 or 90% for me though, so the cost was a little easier to bear.

If you are relying on student health insurance, then I assume that you are the only one working and your spouse is staying home. It is likely that you qualify for some form of medicaid. It is pretty easy to get kids under 5 covered, which would leave you to purchase insurance for you and your spouse. The laws vary by state, so it is something that you would have to look into yourself. Try asking current students that have kids, they should have better details. Also, you get different answers from the benefits office depending on who you talk to. I know that someone in my program didn't have any of his income counted for medicaid purposes because they called it all "scholarship income" but my stipend was partially considered to be a scholarship.

I was reluctant to rely on government programs at first, but it dramatically increased quality of life for me and my family during the program.

Is there any way your department can get you and the other grad students on the faculty/staff plan? I may just be lucky but at my school GA/TA funded students have access to the faculty/staff health insurance plans which for a family plan has premiums that are about 1/8 of the student plan (and the plan is much better).