Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for PhD in Strategy

archiekins

Dear All,

I'm new to Urch, so Hello everyone!! :)

I am just starting out on my application process for a PhD in the US or in Asia.

Test Scores (GMAT): 740 ( Q50 V41)

Undegrad GPA: 3.24 - B.Tech from one of the top 10 universities in India

Graduate GPA: 2.80 - MBA from one of the top 5 MBA colleges in India

Research Experience: None

Teaching Experience: 15 months(at the time of application)

Work Experience: 5 years in corporate in marketing - brand management, digital marketing and services marketing

Concentration Applying to: Marketing / Strategy

Number of programs planned to apply to: 15

Dream Schools: PennState, University of Michigan, Duke, Insead

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?

To become an expert and a knowledge creator in my field

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

I do not have any research experience to show in my application as we had no dissertations - I'm working on a research paper now, but I feel it is too late though(may not finish by the time the applications are done). I really want to get into a good PhD program to get the best exposure. How can I make my profile better given the application timelines?

Also my graduate GPA is relatively low, primarily due to poor performance in the first year - I had a 3.3 in the second year it but could not recover from the damage done in the first. How will this affect my chances?

Any additional specific questions you may have:

You have rightly identified the weakness in your profile. Will you be able to get good LoR's? They might get you a more serious look despite the weakness in Grad GPA. Also you have to spell out your "purpose" in the SOP very effectively.

Also if you are serious about applying - you should be clear about one out of Marketing vs Strategy PhD that you want to pursue.

Finally, regarding your list of dream schools - applications are very competitive and highly correlated to your research interest and the department's research areas. Just as an example - you might get rejected by a lower ranked school while getting accepted at a top ranked school - purely looking at ranking based approach.

Have you thought about research topics yet?

You can PM me if need be.

• 2 weeks later...
The key thing now (based on where we are in time with upcoming application deadlines) is to be crystal clear in your statement of purpose about why marketing and why a particular focus within marketing. I applied to a number of Marketing and Strategy programs and the statements of purpose that I submitted to a marketing vs strategy program were quite a bit different. Read the type of research that professors in that area at that school are producing, and imagine they told you, "This is the kind of work we do here, is that what you want to do? Convince me."

• 4 weeks later...