Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PhD in Accounting - How proactive should you be in outreaching to schools

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: PhD in Accounting - How proactive should you be in outreaching to schools

Sponsored Ad:
    This might sound really childish but I was wondering about what should you be communicating when you e-mail the PhD coordinator. Is it just like: I am interested in the PhD program and this is the summary of my profile? Or is there something else that I might ask the coordinator?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    I think it's generally a good idea to reach out to the PhD coordinator. I did this when applying and it really paid off for me. I would stick with doing it once and well in advance of admission deadlines (Now would be a good time). If you email, keep it brief and attach your resume. They will probably look it over and then go from there on whether or not they choose to contact you.
    This might sound really childish but I was wondering about what should you be communicating when you e-mail the PhD coordinator. Is it just like: I am interested in the PhD program and this is the summary of my profile? Or is there something else that I might ask the coordinator?

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by jeeku View Post
    This is mostly opinion and preference, but I don't like the idea of an email like that. The coordinator is going to get everything that you tell them in that email from the application.

This is why I think you should contact them if you have an actual question. You should be able to figure out what you can from the website and then feel free to ask anything else. It is better to come up with questions on your own, but some generic ones include: Which faculty are likely to chair dissertations in 4-6 years? Who actively works with PhD students? Is there anything that differentiates your program from other similar programs? You can ask about people working in certain subfields. What are the plans are for hiring over the next few years?

Some of those would seem weird coming from a random undergrad, but my point is that sending in an application for early review won't do much for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information