Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PhD in Accounting - How proactive should you be in outreaching to schools

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: PhD in Accounting - How proactive should you be in outreaching to schools

Sponsored Ad:
    This might sound really childish but I was wondering about what should you be communicating when you e-mail the PhD coordinator. Is it just like: I am interested in the PhD program and this is the summary of my profile? Or is there something else that I might ask the coordinator?

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    I think it's generally a good idea to reach out to the PhD coordinator. I did this when applying and it really paid off for me. I would stick with doing it once and well in advance of admission deadlines (Now would be a good time). If you email, keep it brief and attach your resume. They will probably look it over and then go from there on whether or not they choose to contact you.
    This might sound really childish but I was wondering about what should you be communicating when you e-mail the PhD coordinator. Is it just like: I am interested in the PhD program and this is the summary of my profile? Or is there something else that I might ask the coordinator?

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by jeeku View Post
    This is mostly opinion and preference, but I don't like the idea of an email like that. The coordinator is going to get everything that you tell them in that email from the application.

This is why I think you should contact them if you have an actual question. You should be able to figure out what you can from the website and then feel free to ask anything else. It is better to come up with questions on your own, but some generic ones include: Which faculty are likely to chair dissertations in 4-6 years? Who actively works with PhD students? Is there anything that differentiates your program from other similar programs? You can ask about people working in certain subfields. What are the plans are for hiring over the next few years?

Some of those would seem weird coming from a random undergrad, but my point is that sending in an application for early review won't do much for you.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by YaSvoboden View Post
    This is mostly opinion and preference, but I don't like the idea of an email like that. The coordinator is going to get everything that you tell them in that email from the application.

This is why I think you should contact them if you have an actual question. You should be able to figure out what you can from the website and then feel free to ask anything else. It is better to come up with questions on your own, but some generic ones include: Which faculty are likely to chair dissertations in 4-6 years? Who actively works with PhD students? Is there anything that differentiates your program from other similar programs? You can ask about people working in certain subfields. What are the plans are for hiring over the next few years?

Some of those would seem weird coming from a random undergrad, but my point is that sending in an application for early review won't do much for you.
    I agree. I think this is very right about prestigious schools?? I can imagine how they receive a ton of all-star applications :P and will probably be annoyed if people ask about things they can find on the web page. But I guess this may work for newer programs or schools that actually want to recruit expansively to meet new people...but in the end the profs will decide whether they'll take anymore though

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

I think it can go either way. I reached out to just about every school I was applying to, usually just one or two professors I might want to work with, and always with legitimate questions about research focus, etc. most schools responded and all were positive; nobody said ďgo through proper channels.Ē Most conversations were over email but a few folks suggested phone calls.

My take is that itís not a bad idea, but not necessary. The reasons to do it are 1) get more info and 2) build recognition for your name before the official review round when your name is one on the list. The reason not to do it is that if you are perceived as annoying or petulant you could bias the committee against you. If a school says not to (I think Wharton did?), I didnít.

For what itís worth, I got into some schools where I didnít reach out and got rejected by a program where I had nice back and forth emails and phone calls with two folks. But most of the places I reached out to gave me offers, and I think it helped me (being a ďnon traditionalĒ applicant).

I guess to sum up: some people will, some people wonít, if the school says not to donít, itís not required, it may help just a hair, do it if you think you will benefit from getting the answer to a question, donít email to say, ďjust wanted to introduce myself.Ē

Good post? Yes | No

Woo your idea's great! I had the opposite situation of a school reaching out to me in the first place...I responded with my info and a question but they seemed really swamped with other things so it might take them a long time to reply (or even not) not sure if I should proceed or if they just mass email candidates :/ lol anyway...was it pushy for me to send my info in such a scenario?

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by EUU View Post
    Woo your idea's great! I had the opposite situation of a school reaching out to me in the first place...I responded with my info and a question but they seemed really swamped with other things so it might take them a long time to reply (or even not) not sure if I should proceed or if they just mass email candidates :/ lol anyway...was it pushy for me to send my info in such a scenario?
    That's interesting. Do you know where they got your info to begin with?

Responding to them and asking a question was definitely not too pushy.

now it's Dr. TaxPhD

Good post? Yes | No

I remember getting something like this from the University of Alabama when I was applying to doctoral programs. I think they buy contact information from the GMAC based on filters on GMAT score, etc. Common in the MBA world, not so common in the PhD world. But it happens.

Good post? Yes | No

Okay thank you aww this freaked me out cuz it was really unexpected...and yes I think they might have found me through GMAC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information