Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: 1st Year Stress

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

1st Year Stress

Sponsored Ad:
    I'm just coming up to end of math camp and have to say that its been very stressful so far for all of us. I'm at a school with very strict comp requirements so I was wondering if the elder business PhDs here who had to take econ comps in the first year dealt with the stress of the 1st year.

A long long time ago XanthusARES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 1st Year Stress

I didn't take the econ comps, so I can't be of much help in that particular situation.

What I can offer you is some kind of support, hopefully. PhD programs are stressful. The thing to keep in mind is that faculty are really good at teasing apart your ability to be successful. If you were smart enough to get into a program, you'll be smart enough to pass. Obviously there are a ton of other factors like motivation, creativity, writing ability etc..., but intelligence should not be on that list.

Just keep pushing. Good luck!
    Til now I always got by on my own
    I never really cared until I met you...

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

I took econ comps and they are hard, but no one has every failed my program because of them. The PhD is a series of big hurdles that are all very daunting. You take econ comps the first summer, you take comps for your department the next summer, the end of year three we had to present a paper to our entire faculty, you need to propose, get a job, and finally defend. I can encourage you in saying that the PhD admissions process isn't perfect, but their first cut is on ability to make it through the first two years. If you were even seriously considered for the program then you are capable of getting through those first hurdles.

On a somewhat related note, you should actively work on your mental health during the program. Most people who would choose a PhD are probably somewhat prone to anxiety and/or depression. Find ways to completely separate from work every so often and make sure to have some hobby you enjoy. Take assessments of your mental health somewhat regularly. If you have a significant other you should take their opinion seriously. Remember that by any objective standard you are doing pretty well in life. You are successful in a field that you love.

Good post? Yes | No

Yeah, it's stressful. In my first year, my blood pressure got really high due to the stress. And so far my 2nd year is looking worse since courses are stressful enough, and now I also have a lot of research to do. So, it's important to think about strategies to cope with stress.

A long long time ago XanthusARES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by YaSvoboden View Post
    On a somewhat related note, you should actively work on your mental health during the program. Most people who would choose a PhD are probably somewhat prone to anxiety and/or depression. Find ways to completely separate from work every so often and make sure to have some hobby you enjoy. Take assessments of your mental health somewhat regularly. If you have a significant other you should take their opinion seriously. Remember that by any objective standard you are doing pretty well in life. You are successful in a field that you love.
    This cannot be stressed enough. PhD programs are psychologically challenging. Please remember to take care of yourself and check your mental state regularly. If you need help do not hesitate to go ask for it. I know that it can be hard to do that, but, take it from me, it's completely worth it.
    Til now I always got by on my own
    I never really cared until I met you...

Thread Information