Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Evaluation or Suggestion for Schools to Apply to Accounting PhD (backgroun incl)

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Evaluation or Suggestion for Schools to Apply to Accounting PhD (backgroun incl)

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello, would be really appreciative if persons having been through the process would be able to offer suggestions for realistic schools I could apply to with my background.

GMAT: 750 - verbal heavy, very verbal heavy

EDUCATION: Master in Acct.
    GPA: 3.8 (very large midwest state university)
    WORK EXP: 4 or so years, CPA, 'Big Four' and other big companies
    MATH: Just stats and some finance math classes.

RESEARCH INTEREST: pretty set on financial accounting and audit. I have questions I want to explore and have read quite a bit of acct research.

Given my GMAT score balance I was thinking experimental research, although archival seems interesting and I have no doubt i could do the math when i get in (im ready to work!!!) i just don't know how they (admission committees) view an unbalanced Q - V split - reading the forums here seems like it's possibly an issue. Both methodologies seem interesting to me. I don't plan on retaking the GMAT.

But, yeah, opinion on my prospects would be much appreciated.

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Evaluation or Suggestion for Schools to Apply to Accounting PhD (backgroun incl)

I can't speak to what schools would be the best research fit, but I might be able to address your GMAT score. What was your Q score on the GMAT? I think it would depend on how low it is, but given you got a 750 overall, it can't be that low. Did you take any math classes during your undergrad (Calculus, Linear Algebra, etc.)? That might make up for a low Q score.

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Evaluation or Suggestion for Schools to Apply to Accounting PhD (backgroun incl)

GMAT score Q45, V48.

Kind of weird to me, seems like Q only goes to 51. So between 45 and 51, you go from about 60% to 99%. Kind of funny.

But, no, no extra math classes just the required math classes bus. majors had to take. So stats, few econ classes, and few stats heavy finance classes. All A's in those classes.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by AridGalaxy View Post
    RESEARCH INTEREST: pretty set on financial accounting and audit. I have questions I want to explore and have read quite a bit of acct research.

Given my GMAT score balance I was thinking experimental research, although archival seems interesting and I have no doubt i could do the math when i get in (im ready to work!!!) i just don't know how they (admission committees) view an unbalanced Q - V split - reading the forums here seems like it's possibly an issue. Both methodologies seem interesting to me. I don't plan on retaking the GMAT.

But, yeah, opinion on my prospects would be much appreciated.
    A 750 GMAT, decent GPA, and CPA with 4 years experience will get you admitted somewhere decent. The GMAT quant will be a problem at some schools. I can't really say which ones, besides top 10 or so.

A few things stand out when reading through this little bit. 1. You are underprepared mathematically. Minimally, plan on taking calculus 1, 2 and linear algebra online before you start a program. Don't wait to start before you think about math again. The math you will see is harder than you think. 2. Experimental research does require less math because you can make assumptions that do away with some tough problems, but I wouldn't choose it just because of that factor. 3. It's fine to be open to experiments and financial. Plenty of schools do both.

I'm assuming you are planning on applying this season. The best thing you can do is look through all of the programs you can find and apply to the ones that seem interesting. I will help get you started with some good schools that do experiments and archival work:

Georgia
    Indiana
    Illinois
    Wisconsin
    Texas
    Emory
    Pitt
    Washington (Foster)
    Georgia Tech
    Florida
    Cornell
    Iowa
    USC
    ASU

I'm sure there are more. Look at the BYU rankings for overlap between the methodologies.

Thread Information