Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Profile Evaluation: PhD in Organisational Behavior and HRM

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Profile Evaluation: PhD in Organisational Behavior and HRM

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi guys,

I'm a Research officer and Assistant Lecturer at a reputed, top-ranked University in New Zealand who's interested in a career in academia, and I would love to hear some of your recommendations.

I am applying to OB/HR Ph.D. programs in US Business schools. I believe that I am a strong candidate but the GRE has been my biggest stressor. I just took it yesterday and I totally bombed it (my scores being devastating). I have been studying for ~3 months and my finals scores were worse than the scores from my practice tests.

Background: Indian Male, New Zealand Permanent Resident
    Test Scores (GRE): Verbal (156 - 73rd Percentile) Quant (154 - 57th Percentile), 4.5 AWA
    Undergrad GPA: 3.7 from a top-ranked University in Mumbai, India, Pharmacy major
    Graduate GPA: Have two masters qualifications from AACSB, AMBA & EQUIS accredited Business Schools in NZ.
    1. Master of Business & Management – University of Waikato, NZ: Graduated with a Higher First class honours/Distinction, top 10 of my class (US Equivalent of Magna Cum Laude). GPA: 3.75/4.0
    2. Research Masters in Organisational Behaviour & Human Resource Management (MPhil)- Massey University, NZ: Graduated with a Higher First class honours/Distinction, top 5 of my class (US Equivalent of Summa Cum Laude). GPA: 3.8/4.0.
    I was a Massey Masterate Scholar for my MPhil as I received a Merit-Based Scholarship of $15,000 (as a stipend) along with a tuition waiver. I was one of the four recipients of this highly competitive scholarship from an applicant pool of 400 students.

Research Experiences: I am working as a Research Officer at Massey Business School, NZ since last year. Currently involved in a Government funded research project with top researchers and scholars in the field of OB/HR in NZ. The findings of this massive research study (involves more than 200+ organisations) will be presented to Govnt next year to design policy on workplace bullying and harassment. So there is direct implications of my research to both theory and practise.
    Have also worked as a Research Assistant to the Director of Research for 2 years at the same University. Have worked on two Master’s thesis/dissertations. One-small 25 point dissertation and another major-120 point Thesis. Scored an A in both of them, with my MPhil Thesis being assessed by External Examiners from another University. Will definitely receive glowing letters of recommendations from leading researchers/scholars in my department.
    Have also presented papers at reputed International Academic Conferences (Academy of Management- Australia & NZ division referred to as ANZAM). Currently, also working on two manuscripts to get them published in Academic journals.
    Teaching Experience: Almost five years. Have been a lecturer of Management: OBHR & Strategic Management at a reputed Business School in NZ since last 4 years.
    Work Experience: Have been in Academia most of my life but I’m also a consultant and Financial Director for a successful Educational Services Firm in Mumbai, India.

Concentration Applying to: OB/HR
    Number of programs planned to apply to: 15
    Dream Schools(Not quite dream range though, I am pragmatic because of my GRE score): University of Minnesota Twin Cities, Arizona State, Penn State, Michigan State, Washington State, Ohio State, Uni of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Purdue, Uni of Maryland, Uni of Georgia.

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD? I want to pursue a PhD because research is my passion and I thoroughly enjoy it. The satisfaction of making a difference in people’s lives through my research, how much ever small the contribution might be, is something that drives/motivates me to pursue an onerous program like PhD in Management.

Questions or concerns you have about your profile? I am freaking out about the GRE. My goal was to score 160 (70thQ, 86thV) but after taking the exam I am truly beginning to wonder how I am going to bring up my score roughly 10 total points. My first applications are due December 15th so I don’t think I have enough time to retake the exam. I have heard that business schools in 25-100 rank range don’t need very high GRE/GMAT scores. Does anyone have any further thoughts on this? Also--Any words of advice on bringing my score up.

Do you think I have a shot of getting into a doctoral program at a decent University?
    Every Doctoral program admits only 2-3 students per division. So, I know the competition is stiff. But I would really appreciate if someone can guide as me to whether I can get into 2nd Tier yet good Business Schools like Penn State, Michigan State, Washington State, Ohio State, Arizona State or Minnesota Twin Cities.

Would a high GPA and other accomplishments/experience compensate for a low GRE score?
    Lastly, do you think that other positive aspects of my application can overpower my low test scores? Or do you think my scores are egregiously low and thus, are a non-starter for my applications? Then maybe I can consider taking the exam again and make my applications next year.
    Last edited by Rohit Piplani; 11-06-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation: PhD in Organisational Behavior and HRM

I highly recommend trying the GMAT. I struggled with the GRE, and prepared for and took the GMAT in under a month and did signicantly better. You could schedule the exam for ~ Dec 1 and see how you fair if you are wanting to apply this year. Or look at European schools with later deadlines (HEC Paris accepts applications in 3 rounds from January to June I believe)

Good post? Yes | No

I second StrategicMGMT's suggestion. The GMAT may be a much better exam to take. Your profile looks good other than the test scores so I think your application will receive some attention if it gets through the initial review. That being said, I think there is a pretty strong probability that you might not make the initial cut due to your exam scores. It is probably good idea to reach out into your network and see if your letter writers/co-authors have connections at these universities.
    While you won't need a 700 on the GMAT to crack top 50 (maybe even top 20) schools with your profile, I think that your odds of success would be much higher if you can get into the low-medium 600s.

Good post? Yes | No

I am going through a similar struggle right now with the GRE while everything else about my applications will be solid. You have time to take it again. I just took the GRE a second time (on Monday) and brought my score up 9 points in 5 weeks. While you don't have that kind of time, you have a solid three weeks that if you put in the time you could see a significant increase, maybe not to 320 but even just 3-5 points might be enough to help get you in the door at some places you won't with what you have now.

I am taking it again for a third time because I feel that I have to do everything I can to try and get the highest score I can. You could take the test as late as December 3-5ish and still be fine. Look at the requirements for the schools that you're applying to, many schools don't even require you to submit your official scores through ETS, you just self report. I've also been told by faculty members that if your official scores don't arrive from ETS until a couple days after the deadline this is fine.

I highly highly encourage you to take it a second time! I know that it's a pain and super disheartening but SO many people have to take it twice. Being more familiar with the test and the environment a second time around should in itself help you the second time. Good luck!

Thread Information