Urch Forums

Low Ranking Finance PhDs

pigalore

Hi all,

I am applying for Finance PhD for Fall 2019 and I am becoming increasingly worried that I won't be able to get into the schools I applied for. I have a 3.7 undergrad GPA, 3.5 grad GPA, GRE score of 320, limited research experience, and a TA position.

Do any of you know of programs that put less weight on GPA and scores and more on personal statement/LORs? I think my LORs should be pretty good (three business profs)

Appreciate the help!

Edited by pigalore
Typo

I see some applicants applied successfully to some "low" ranking Ph.D. finance programs in the U.S. Please be noted that the definition of "low ranking" is vague. It might be low to someone, but high to the others. You can search on

Finance research rankings | W. P. Carey School of Business

choose Finance ranking, then click range "All". You might be able to find some schools that fit your profile. Anyway, I don't know why you got 32 GRE? Do you mean 320?

pigalore, it's hard to suggest. The matter of fit is more important than ranking, please be noted that. If you choose a school that you think is low/safe, but faculties there are not interested in your research interests. Then, it becomes not safe anymore. My advice is to do your own research for schools you feel that you got a chance to get in, search faculties' profile and see if their research fits your interest. Then, eliminate schools that don't fit. It may take time, but I strongly believe it's worth.