Urch Forums

Prioritizing List of Schools for Accounting PhD

bumblebee55

Hi!

I would like to get the advice of the members of this forum with regards to creating a prioritized list of the Accounting PhD programs I've applied to. I've applied to 12 schools, and, when I was applying, I thought they were all good fits for financial archival research. However, I would like to know how the more experienced members of this forum would group/rank them. I'll clarify what I'm looking for in a program:

1) My background: econ undergrad (with classes in econometrics, statistics, multivariable calculus, linear algebra), accounting masters, currently in public accounting.

2) Learning the statistical/econometrics/economics/mathematical tools as well as the accounting knowledge in order to do research and publish.

3) Finding a research-based job afterwards.

4) A little bit of work-life balance (I know that a PhD is all-consuming, but having a little breathing room every now and then is important to me)

[TABLE=width: 313]

[TR]

[TD]University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Texas A&M University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of North Carolina[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Texas at Austin[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Southern California[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Pennsylvania[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Florida[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]New York University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Washington[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Georgia[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Oregon[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pennsylvania State University[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hi!

I would like to get the advice of the members of this forum with regards to creating a prioritized list of the Accounting PhD programs I've applied to. I've applied to 12 schools, and, when I was applying, I thought they were all good fits for financial archival research. However, I would like to know how the more experienced members of this forum would group/rank them. I'll clarify what I'm looking for in a program:

1) My background: econ undergrad (with classes in econometrics, statistics, multivariable calculus, linear algebra), accounting masters, currently in public accounting.

2) Learning the statistical/econometrics/economics/mathematical tools as well as the accounting knowledge in order to do research and publish.

3) Finding a research-based job afterwards.

4) A little bit of work-life balance (I know that a PhD is all-consuming, but having a little breathing room every now and then is important to me)

[TABLE=width: 313]

[TR]

[TD]University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Texas A&M University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of North Carolina[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Texas at Austin[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Southern California[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Pennsylvania[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Florida[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]New York University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Washington[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Georgia[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Oregon[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pennsylvania State University[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

First of all, those are all good to very good programs. Depending on the exact topics within financial archival one wanted to research would determine, to some degree, which school would be the best fit. But broadly (in terms of thinking 5 years down the line about what an average placement would look like out of said school), I would probably group them as follows. This was not a super easy task, one could easily argue that this grouping is not "correct." It's just one persons take.

Group 1: Penn, NYU, USC

Group 2: Washington, UT-Austin, UNC, Penn State

Group 3: TAMU, Georgia, Illinois, Florida

Group 4: Oregon