Urch Forums

PhD, then private sector job. Anybody?

user_name

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And yet, according to published statistics, Finance Ph.D. programs are so much more competitive. I was considering studying financial economics at a school of business but then decided not to apply to Finance/Business Ph.D. programs because I am afraid that my profile is substandard.

Regarding placement in the industry, I am always keeping that on my mind. It is likely that I will end up pursuing Ph.D. in Economics at a university ranked somewhere among top 30-60 American Economics Departments. I will study most likely financial economics and time series econometrics. I will do my best to get a good academic placement, but if it doesn't work out, I'll probably look for a job in the industry.

I was considering studying financial economics at a school of business but then decided not to apply to Finance/Business Ph.D. programs because I am afraid that my profile is substandard.

It seems that many of them also will at least read through work experience, also. I have mediocre grades (~3.5ish at a grad level); but 4-5 years experience working in currency derivatives, etc.

Econ programs rarely care about work experience, but B-schools will at least give them a passing glance.

Jesus, this PhD Business board is slow. Econ is too popular.

I think Business and Economics Ph.D. discussions could be merged into one. A lot of Business Ph.D. concentrations are directly related to Economics (I/O, Strategy, Financial Economics, Public Policy, etc). The difference has become so blurred that many applicants with interests in Economics are applying to both types of programs.

But then, there are also some Business Ph.D. applicants with interests in things like Accounting, Corporate Finance, Management, or IT, and their posts could drown in the sea of Economics-related discussions.

What are those that don`t allow? I think I`ve read it at Harvard.

Harvard does allow you to apply to two different departments.

As for the original question, gotta be hard to find a private sector job in feminist economics, eh? :)

Eh, it doesn't matter. Even a bachelor's degree is sufficient after all.