Urch Forums

School/Program Suggestions

marxecat

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on TestMagic and I'm looking for advice on which schools/programs to consider for a Ph.D in Biz Schools. Here is my profile:

Current School: Enrolled in MA Economics Program at a program with no econ Ph.D. Awarded a full ride plus stipend. GPA: 3.6

Undergrad: Econ degree at Ivy League University. GPA: 3.5

GRE: 770Q, 630V, 4.5W

Courses: Two semesters each master's-level micro (A, A-), macro (A-, B) and econometrics (A-, A-), one semester real analysis (current, likely B/B+/A- if I'm lucky), linear algebra (A). Lots of undergrad econ courses.

Teaching: TA for Intro Econ (and taught weekly sections) during 3 semesters as undergrad, Head TA for International Econ in MA program, selected as TA supervisor this year and wrote TA resource guide to train incoming TAs.

Research: RA for several profs as part of Master's program, innovative thesis topic developing novel experiment methodology using online portal (no behavioral econ profs at my current school so I reached out to a prof at a nearby school to help advise my work). Prior research experience related to undergrad coursework, in public sector internship and private sector consulting job between ugrad and grad program.

LOR: 3 writers of full "professor" rank who went to Harvard/Stanford and are relatively well known writing on my behalf. I expect them to write strong letters, one is from my undergrad who I knew from TAing and helped me get into the current MA program, one is my current thesis advisor and department chair here, and one that I completed research with over the past 6 months

Interests: Behavioral Economics, Experimental Economics, Economics of Education. I am particularly interested in teaching, so I am curious which schools might be a good fit with my background, have specialties in the same areas and also have a focus on teaching econ.

Other: High school valedictorian, worked for a year at leading management consulting firm, Founded economics graduate society at current university and secured $1,250 budget; Founder of web venture, OutSorcerer.com - When you need to outsource a task, OutSorcerer.com works like magic! (check it out!) One particular constraint I'm facing is that my fiancee and I are applying to Ph.D. programs together; she's applying to nutrition/clinical psych programs, so this cuts out some major programs and we may both have to dig around a bit to find schools that work for us both. Hence why I'm asking for your suggestions of schools I might not otherwise consider.

Thanks much for your advice! I plan to reciprocate by being active on the forum over the next couple of months.

Best wishes,

Marxecat

:tup:

Marxecat,

The profile you have put forth is of a strong candidate to an Econ PhD program and not to a B-school PhD program. Of the two possible disciplines which might be a good fit for you- finance & business economics (which few schools actually have a PhD program in), none of them work heavily in your areas of interest: Behavioral Economics, Experimental Economics, Economics of Education.

As far as finance programs go, you could think of working in Behavioural Finance if that interests you but that is not a main stream topic in which every business school is active. As far as some of the business econ programs are concerned, you can look at Stanford's program in Economic Analysis & Policy or Stern (NYU)'s program in Economics to see if they match your interests or not. My guess is not but you should take a look yourself.

My 2 cents would be that your profile & interests are a much better fit for Econ rather than b-schools.

SB

As far as I know, experimental economics is an active field here at Purdue. The economics department, finance department, marketing, accounting, and all other business related departments are part of the same business school, each with its own PhD program. However, unless you're interested in applications of experiments to research in some specific business subject, I am guessing that it would make sense to pursue experimental economics through Economics Ph.D. program and not through other PhD programs offered in the Krannert school of management because experimental econ courses are taught as economics courses by economics faculty (but various business PhD students are probably welcome to take them). Also, the econ phd program seems more rigorous in terms of economics courses anyways. Unlike most other business PhD students, econ students are required to take macroeconomics courses as well as the second half of micro theory next semester (which covers general equilibrium).

I also heard that Caltech's Social Science faculty includes some professors interested in experiments in finance and political economics, and I know there is some student at UC Berkeley working on projects in behavioural finance and experiments.