Urch Forums

Veteran HS teacher looking to progress...where do I fit in?

Naijaman

Hi,

I am currently completing year 5 as a math teacher from a public high school in Queens, NY. I have paid my dues, and I have had enough of the public school classroom, and the paycheck that accompanies it. I have minimal experience in management or finance, but I have 3 degrees.

Here is my background:

B.S. Computer Science, 3.2 GPA (not too great school)

Two master's degrees:

M.A. Economics, 3.3 GPA (public univ.)

M.A. Education, 3.9 GPA (mid-tier private univ.)

Test Scores

GMAT: 720 (95%ile) -- 48Q, 41V

GRE: 730Q, 600V, 580A

Work experience:

1+ year in IT

5 years as a teacher

I'm told that I would pretty much be a lock for nearly any MBA Finance program given my educational, work, and general background, but my parents are West African immigrants, and I guess they would feel validated if I did a doctorate, especially from a top tier school.

BESIDES, I DON'T WANT A THIRD MASTER'S DEGREE!!!

I would primarily be interested in finance, but would also be open to applying to such programs as:

- Applied Economics

- Real Estate

- General Management with a relevant minor

** I took a couple of doctoral level courses in economics, but I would like to study less hypothetical and more specific scenarios involving business, real estate finance as it relates to stock market behavior.

I have pretty specific purposes for my sudy, which would be specified in my letter of intent, which should be strong. I could also get 2 decent letters of rec.

What are my chances of getting into a top 20 program in any of these fields?

Hello, Naijaman. Welcome to the forum.

This might seem irrelevant, but would you mind telling us how old are you? I might be considered almost old for some admissions standards, and I'm just 25.

About doctoral studies, the most important thing is research inclination. Don't do a PhD unless you want to do research. Even if it's a third master's degree, an MBA is not a bad idea if you want to work in real business settings.

Your GMAT is very good, your GRE-Q not so much. Secure good letters of recommendation from academics who know you well and can speak wonders about you, and who can tell you're serious about academia, and about research, despite your long tenure away from university.

Surely I'm forgetting other details, but I'm really sleepy now. Somebody else will help with what I have forgotten, I'm sure.

Ah, two things:

- Admissions are quite competitive, even for programs outside the first tiers.

- Application is one of the most misarable periods of your life. I can't believe it is not over yet. I have prepared my applications for over two years, and can't believe it could still take me another extra year if my waitlists don't roll :(

Since you are in the NYC area, if you are a US Citizen, NYU (Stern) which is ranked high for finance, offers a FREE pre-doctoral program for US Citizens, especially minorities, along with a living stipend..

You can take as many necessary upper level math and econ courses as well as getting recommendations and great help for applying to PhD programs...

If you take those courses, retake the GRE and get a 780+ quant score and impress a couple of faculty at NYU to get great Letters of Recommendation, your chances of top 15-20 will be pretty good.

Here's the link: PhD

Good luck.

Hi all,

I greatly appreciate all the responses from everyone. The feedback might help me evaluate my decisions and chances...

AstralTraveller, I am 28 years old--I would be 30 by the time the program starts in '09. I had no idea until I started coming onto these boards that age would be such a factor.

I guess age is an issue, because though I am quite inclined to continue teaching on some level, and doing some research in my field of interest, I do not know if I can spend my early 30s making minimal income. Though public school teaching does not pay what I desire, I am not quite making chump change either.

I like teaching, and I like the lifestyle that being a professor would afford me, and will look into the requirements for research and publication required of me in order to attain such status.

Thanks again for responses.

Hi all,

I greatly appreciate all the responses from everyone. The feedback might help me evaluate my decisions and chances...

AstralTraveller, I am 28 years old--I would be 30 by the time the program starts in '09. I had no idea until I started coming onto these boards that age would be such a factor.

I guess age is an issue, because though I am quite inclined to continue teaching on some level, and doing some research in my field of interest, I do not know if I can spend my early 30s making minimal income. Though public school teaching does not pay what I desire, I am not quite making chump change either.

I like teaching, and I like the lifestyle that being a professor would afford me, and will look into the requirements for research and publication required of me in order to attain such status.

Thanks again for responses.

Just don't give up hope. You might actually end up finding out a professorial career is exactly your ideal career move. You have to try and test the waters to find out.

30 years old wouldn't be that bad. It would be perfect age for US citizens (you are one, right? I am not, and have no States experience, so it is more a factor in my case than yours).

Don't dismiss the pre-doc program at Stern. It can open many opportunities. And it is taught at a world class business school.

AstralTraveller,

Just don't give up hope. You might actually end up finding out a professorial career is exactly your ideal career move. You have to try and test the waters to find out.

You might be right. I will certainly look into this. I will start by speaking to profs and doctoral students at NYU and Columbia, since they are here in the city, and get a feel for whether this is for me. I can also evaluate my chances given my profile. Thanks again for the feedback.

I looked at the pre-doc program @ NYU, but I read the deadline for 08-09 was in January, and besides, it would be very hard for me to give up a year of FT work that is not directly in the doctoral program. I need at least a year to handle some personal debt...

Hi,

I found it surprising and odd that age was suggested to be an issue. And 25 is suggested to be "old." For business PhD in general, there are more students having substantial job experience before they apply, compared to, let's say, math PhD. My experience has been that age variance and age "tolerance" for business PhD is much higher. I would recommend not to worry about age at all. My first year class has people who are married with kids, and people who has yet to have any interruption in their schooling.

I would echo the advice of not getting into a PhD program unless you really want to do research though. This can't be overemphasized. PhD is not a master+. PhD is a serious commitment. And if you are into professional development in the real world (outside of academia and research oriented place), a PhD degree actually won't help you much compared to a top tier MBA program. Do not make the mistake of going through the hell (it was for many) of a PhD degree and then learn that you really didn't get what you were hoping for.

Moomber, thanks for the response, and I certainly see the points raised by you and others. The bottom line is, I like teaching, and I like the lifestyle of an academic. I am not particularly keen on re-entering the corporate sector on a full-time basis (though possibly as a part-time consultant). I have been a teacher for 5 years, and no matter what, I will always be a teacher at heart. I have certain areas which I have great interest in doing research in (though my primary interest is teaching), and basically need to find a good fit for my interests. I am only now beginning to realize how much goes into simply deciding on a program and admission, let alone completion :hmm:. I am also not necessarily dead-set on teaching at a certain level school as I am interested in ensuring that I will be fairly well placed and paid upon completion.

The only major issue for me is giving up 3-4 years of full-time income to pursue this interest. That will be very hard...(I have bills). However, if I can overcome this obstacle, I hope to undertake the endeavor of a doctoral program in business.