Urch Forums

part-time Ph.D. in Finance (Business)

john71

My plan is to go back to my country and become a financial adviser to the department of finance in 5 years. I plan to have career experience in Finance in the U.S. while attending a PhD in Finance then I'll be ready for my goal in 5 years.

Look at the profiles of people who are in the role of a financial advisor to the deptt. of finance and see if any of them has a PT degree or not. As best as I recall, advisors/ politicians in the finance ministry tend to come from the very top-tier schools. Look at India which is where I come from. The present Prime Minister has an Economics PhD from Oxford and the Finance Minister has a Law degree from Harvard Law. Also look at folks in places like Thailand, S Korea and Mexico and you will see the truth of what I am saying. A PT degree as I said is not worth the paper it is printed on.

• 4 weeks later...
Personally, I think you need to weigh the pros and cons for yourself and decide what the best route is to achieve your goals. I would hestiate to say a part-time PhD is worthless. That is a very large conjecture to make IMO. It depends what you want to do when you're done and if it will help you accomplish your goals.

Personally, I think you need to weigh the pros and cons for yourself and decide what the best route is to achieve your goals. I would hestiate to say a part-time PhD is worthless. That is a very extreme conjecture to make IMO. It depends what you want to do when you're done and if it will help you accomplish your goals.