Urch Forums

MA/MSc Economics in Europe

diesel

Hey everyone!

I've mostly been interested in Canadian MA programs in Economics, but reading posts on TM (and obersving the rankings) suggest that there are some really good European schools out there. I'll be leaving my country for an MA anyway, so it won't make much of a difference if it's Canada or..lets say France!

Minus UK from the list, since it's way too expensive for both tuition and living. Welcome Toulouse, Tilburg, Amsterdam, EU Institute, etc. These European programs come in the Top-50 PhD category, which i reckon would certainly have some effect (a positive one) on their specialized MA programs.

Since these schools rank above Canadian MA programs (UBC and UofT being an exception in some cases), do you think they would provide a better chance of getting into a Top 20 or Top 30 Phd program? Plus, are these schools harder to get into?

Canadian schools are relatively generous funding-wise on their MA programs compared to their US counterparts. Whats the deal with these European MA programs? Btw, i read somewhere on TM that ANU-Canberra is a good bet if funding is an issue.

You can refer to my profile for a better picture: http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/99056-ma-economics-canada.html

~Cheers!

With regards to ANU, I have heard from x-students that in recent years they have lost quite a few faculty members to other Australian universities. I do not know whether the situation has improved though.

In fact, I was also considering ANU at a certain point of time, but finally decided against it as it seemed like a bad bet for a move to US/UK for PhD. Also, the tuition fee is really high.

EUI does not offer MA as terminal degree.

In italy you could look for the (2 years long) LMEC in Bologna which is very good.

I also know they provide scholarships for foreigners.

In France, Toulouse is very well reputed and also very cheap compared to England.

Also, take a look at PSE/ENS.

Maybe you want have a look at some programs in Spain (CEMFI, Carlos III, UPF).

Hope this helps!

As Antonio said, it is better to check some Spanish schools.

For UPF, you can see where their students go after the MA from their website.

Graduate Programme

I also add some good schools for the master.

SSE & SU offer a master degree. From what I've heard, they charge no tuition fees.

Nationalekonomiska institutionen, Stockholms universitet

Bonn also offers a 2-year master degree in economics.

If you apply through BGSE (Bonn graduate school of economics), you will get a financial support, even if you are applying for the master. However, if you are applying through the department, we have to pay some tuition fees. Bonn's financial support is follows:

Financial Support

Don´t rule out all of the UK. While LSE may be prohibitively expensive (18K!)for so many people, UCL is better value for money. It is slightly cheaper (13.5K GBP) and has an excellent programme. At a domestic level they are really pushing LSE for top spot.

If it is living in London that fills you with bankruptcy nightmares then have a look at Warwick. It also has an excellent programme (top 3/4 UK) and is cheaper still (10.25K). It´s also a cheaper (albeit quieter) place to live. I´ve found Warwick fees more comparable with some top-end European fees. For example, UPF is just under 10K GBP.

One other thing you might want to consider is the extent of TA opportunities for Masters students. They don´t always involve that much work, can allow you to build a rapport with faculty, and give you some much needed extra $$$$ to offset the tuition fees.

Best wishes with whatever/wherever you decide.

Consider as well the lenght of the master you're looking for. If I'm not wrong, making exception for Toulouse (and excluding UK, as you said) the remaining top master programmes in Europe (UPF, CEMFI, UC3M, Bonn, Stockholm, Tilburg, Tinbergen group, ECARES) have adopted the Bologna scheme, that is they are 2-year programmes. Then, if you're looking for a one-year programme, Toulouse and any programme in UK are the only choices, I'm afraid.

Thanks alot for the replies everyone!

I'm looking for a program which gives me the best bet for quality, and for my money. A place thats generous on funding, and great on quality. I don't mind whether it's a two year or one year program.

Isn't the Bologna U ranked real low in the rankings? I'm looking for admission into an MA/MSc Economics department which has a Phd ranking in the Top-50. I'll certainly apply to Toulouse (since its relatively cheaper, and ofcourse high on quality).

SSE has no tuition fee yea, and are good on the ranking scale aswell. But i've heard Sweden's living costs are REALAY high, no?

With my profile, do you guys think i'm competitive for these schools whch i mentioned in the OP? Any funding chances?

As far as I know, Vrije U does not offer a separate master's in economics.

However, the master program is run by TI, which is consisted of three universities in NE. IMHO, TI is one of the best institute to study for economics. If you are insterested in development economics, also consider the master program offered by PSE.

UPF-GSE is one year. In fact it´s only 9 months so as to clear the classrooms for the cash cow that is Summer School. I think some of the others are just a year as well.

On TAs, the UK offers far more opportunities than if you go to Toulouse and don´t speak French or UC3 and don´t speak Spanish. Then you have no TA opportunities as you are generally teaching UGs. The exception I guess may be Holland?

You might want to check out some other threads as many of the questions you are asking, and most of the specific Masters programmes, have been discussed in depth. There is a huge amount of information here, just try a search. You can even see what people having taken the programmes thought of them. I certainly found it useful when I was applying.

(CEMFI, Carlos III, UPF)

(CEMFI, Carlos III, UPF, UAB)

Consider as well the lenght of the master you're looking for. If I'm not wrong, making exception for Toulouse (and excluding UK, as you said) the remaining top master programmes in Europe (UPF, CEMFI, UC3M, Bonn, Stockholm, Tilburg, Tinbergen group, ECARES) have adopted the Bologna scheme, that is they are 2-year programmes. Then, if you're looking for a one-year programme, Toulouse and any programme in UK are the only choices, I'm afraid.

False, UPF Econ Master is a one-year programme.

Well, the dutch universities (VU, UvA, EUR) that are involved in Tinbergen Institute all have their own one-year masters programmes (Msc). Though if you go for them, I think Msc Econometrics would be a better choice for your preparation. However, note that in the Netherlands master programes in economics (MSc) are in general not toward Phd (they are too applied). Mphil programmes are for those who aim at doing a Phd (like Tinbergen Mphil). So if you aim at taking a masters as a way to prepare for admission to USA, I would personally rather go with UPF or Toulouse). In the Netherlands consider Tilburg (but Mphil if anything as Msc programmes are too applied and I think will not add anything significant to your preparation). Tinbergen is of course great both in academic (Tinbergen Institute - Programme 2007-2008: Courses) and social part (just check their facebook group) but is not really for you if you aim at leaving after the Mphil programme.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for digging up this thread and bringing it back onto the surface, but i thought it would be a better idea to put up a question in here rather than starting a new thread.

I've looked at Tinbergen's program structure, and it's impressive to say the least. I won't mind doing a PhD from the same place as my MPhil/MA (if the same place is some place like Tinbergen!).

But how competitive is it to get into Tinbergen's MPhil program? With my profile do you reckon i stand good chances of admission in Tinbergen AND funding? I don't want to apply to somewhere i don't have any chances of getting in.

Can someone throw some light on the Huygens scholarship aswell?

Note: A change in my profile; I've started an MSc Economics & Finance at my home country. Taking/and will be taking Advanced Econometrics, Math for Econ, Statistical inference, Linear Algebra & Advanced Micro/Macro I & II. I think this would beef up my profile to an extent - but i wont be having my MSc results when applying.

~Cheers

Apologies for digging up this thread and bringing it back onto the surface, but i thought it would be a better idea to put up a question in here rather than starting a new thread.

I've looked at Tinbergen's program structure, and it's impressive to say the least. I won't mind doing a PhD from the same place as my MPhil/MA (if the same place is some place like Tinbergen!).

But how competitive is it to get into Tinbergen's MPhil program? With my profile do you reckon i stand good chances of admission in Tinbergen AND funding? I don't want to apply to somewhere i don't have any chances of getting in.

Can someone throw some light on the Huygens scholarship aswell?

Note: A change in my profile; I've started an MSc Economics & Finance at my home country. Taking/and will be taking Advanced Econometrics, Math for Econ, Statistical inference, Linear Algebra & Advanced Micro/Macro I & II. I think this would beef up my profile to an extent - but i wont be having my MSc results when applying.

~Cheers

For international students, places like Tilburg, Tinbergen put a lot of weight on the GRE Q.