Urch Forums

Vanderbilt GPED

Marine05

Hello friends,

I think I can get in for sure into this program.

Does anyone know about the program?

I heard it is real flexible choosing electives and allowed to take Phd courses as well. I don't know if I can get funding, a person related to this matter says I could get some. What do you guys think?

I am not sure about the quality of the program and that is what I want to hear from you.

Thanks,

:tup:

People on this forum are going to need to know more about you before they can give any advice. Why the GPED? It this a terminal thing or is it a stepping stone to a PHD program. Also, sharing your grades, gre, LOR, and general interests will allow TMer to more acurately help you.

As far has I understand while the GPED is flexible, I have heard that it is hard to get funding, as funding usually goes to Phd students. As a mattter of fact, I remember seeing some old profiles on this forum where the applicants got funding at top 30-40 Phd econ programs and not at GPED. This may have changed, however, footing the bill at Vanderbilt would be crazy, and there is definately better value of education for similar amounts of money if you are interested in Development: SOAS, SIPA, SAIS, IDS, Oxbridge development studies, HEI, which are also all flexible.

Further if you are serious about Development, it might be a good idea to just get a good masters in econ and then apply to a school which is good in development for you Phd (such schools are: Cornell, Brown, Yale, BU, USC, UCSC, Colorado).

People on this forum are going to need to know more about you before they can give any advice. Why the GPED? It this a terminal thing or is it a stepping stone to a PHD program. Also, sharing your grades, gre, LOR, and general interests will allow TMer to more acurately help you.

As far has I understand while the GPED is flexible, I have heard that it is hard to get funding, as funding usually goes to Phd students. As a mattter of fact, I remember seeing some old profiles on this forum where the applicants got funding at top 30-40 Phd econ programs and not at GPED. This may have changed, however, footing the bill at Vanderbilt would be crazy, and there is definately better value of education for similar amounts of money if you are interested in Development: SOAS, SIPA, SAIS, IDS, Oxbridge development studies, HEI, which are also all flexible.

Further if you are serious about Development, it might be a good idea to just get a good masters in econ and then apply to a school which is good in development for you Phd (such schools are: Cornell, Brown, Yale, BU, USC, UCSC, Colorado).

Thanks for your posting. I really appreciate it. I have to think hard about this for a while. thanks again.