Urch Forums

My GRE Score; Should I apply to top schools?

Roberto

My GRE Score:

Verbal: 500; Quantitative: 800; Analytical Writing: 4.0 :(

My Other backgrounds are OK. GPA: 3.99; Econ GPA: 3.94; Math GPA: 4.0; Recommendation: Very famous economists(Not very very famous); Should I apply to top 10 schools? How about top 20s?

Would the GRE score greatly decrease my admission probabilities?

THX...

I think your scores are good. Without info beyond the #s, I can't say for sure whether you'd get in, but if the rest of your profile is solid, you should be a competitive applicant. But since it is so competitive, I would recommend adding some safety schools outside of the top 20 (assuming you would still want to do a PhD if you don't get into the top 20).

Caveat: I've had adcoms for top 15 schools mention retaking the GRE if I had >550 verbal and >4.0 analytical. I've also had adcoms tell me ">550 verbal and/or >4.0 analytical is fine."

In my limited experience, adcoms vary greatly on how they interpret verbal/argumentative scores. Some care much more than others.

Oh, I feel so depressed...:eek:

seems like my long-lasting dream will be broken by the GRE score. :crazy:

I am actually a non-native speaker. I got my undergraduate degree in the US. Would I be judged by a lower verbal standard?

I took a couple of writing and speaking course. I got A or A+ for all of them. Would this help?

Oh, I feel so depressed...:eek:

seems like my long-lasting dream will be broken by the GRE score. :crazy:

I am actually a non-native speaker. I got my undergraduate degree in the US. Would I be judged by a lower verbal standard?

I took a couple of writing and speaking course. I got A or A+ for all of them. Would this help?

Please, please. Someone draw Olm's attention to this.

To OP: Don't worry at all. Your GRE AWA should not deny you a Top 10 or even 5 admission.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, my point of view on this is that very famous or famous is not that important. It is what they say about you that is important. I got in at LSE (not top 10 but top 12...LOL), and I did not have any famous references. But their letter was very powerful and it helped me a lot...more than a famous letter. So be careful to what the "famous" economist says in your letter. If he says: "he is a good student...bla bla bla", this is worthless. He has to give a really powerful impression of you to the committee.

Good luck