Urch Forums

Do I have a chance to be offered to an economics phd program?

saratobia

Because my profile is rather weak, which ranking should I focus on? Can I reach eonomics phd programs rank from 60-80 or even lower?

PROFILE:

BA and MS in Economics from the best university in China.

Undergrad GPA: 3.4 Econ

Master: GPA: 3.86

GRE: 790Q, 510V, 3.0 AWA.

Math Courses: Calculus I (B) Calculus II ©, Statistics (A), Linear Algebra (A)

Probability Theory and Statistics (B), Dynamic Optimization©

Econ Courses (grad-level): Advanced Macro(A), Advanced Micro(A), Advanced Economitrics(A)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Economic Principles (A), Intermediate Macro (B), Intermediate Micro (B), Growth and Development (B), Econometrics (B),Mathematical Economics(B),International Finance(B), Environmental Resources Economics(B),

Information Economics(B), Applied Time Series Analysis(B),Agriculture Economics(B), Theory of Industrial Organization(B), International Economics(B).

Letters of Recommendation: 2 Economics Associate Professors and 1 Instructor

Research Experience: RA of my professor, just some data collecting work or using STATA to process panel data. No publication.

Teaching Experience: TA of Principles of Economics for one year.

Research Interests: development economics & applied economics.

Applying to: TAMU, Colorado.

Is TAMU too high for me? I tried the pre-application system of UCSB and got firmly rejected, so now the more I applied the more frantic I became. Please help me with choosing the right range. Thanks!

How will you rank your recommendations in terms of possible strenght of the letters and if your profs are relatively known in economics? This plays an important factor, especially for internationals students, from what i have heard. Do you have any class ranking? Do your school places people at top programas in the US consistently? Maybe this things can help a little more for guidance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My feelling is that you should apply to more schools. Your math classes are a little low, which is something that all school look at. You should try more school to be sure to get in if you really want to go fo PhD. Remember one thing. The MSc (or MA) does not erase any undergrade classes and they will look at it very closely (the undergrad course). So, try more school to make sure.

Good luck