Urch Forums

Disadvantages of applying to non-research MSc program at LSE

rom

Hi there,

As the title indicates, I am wondering what are the disadvantages of applying to non-research MSc program at LSE. e.g. MSc. Economics , not MSc. Economics( Research).

If I was an non-research program student then the chance of getting into LSE's Phd program in Economics would be less than those who are in the research program after finishing masters program?

What else? Less scholarship opportunities?

Thanks,

I recall something about the MSc (Research) existing so that UK and possibly EU nationals can get funding... maybe under ESRC? So funding exists for a 1+3 or 2+2 research based masters/PhD.

I'm sure someone else can provide better details, but my understanding is that there's no difference in the programs... the difference is that UK/EU nationals should apply for MSc (Research) for funding purposes (no idea if ESRC is grants, loans, or what).

Also, to avoid confusion for any readers, the MSc (Research) is different from the MRes degree.

There was some discussion on this topic in the "Masters Applications Thread 2009" you might want to check.

If I have understood correctly, the only difference between MSc and MSc (Research) is that in the latter you already have a conditional offer to continue to the MRes/PhD programme whereas in the former you have to apply to the MRes/PhD programme. At least in principle, there should be ESRC 1+3 funding available to MSc (Research) student, but there is no difference in the curriculum, for instance.

As Miaataro stated, it is correct. I am in MSc Economics at LSE and the difference between MSc and Msc (Research) is the continuation. With MSc, it is a "final" program in the sense that you get a diploma and it is finish. So if you want to continue, you have to apply. But for MSc (Research), you are expected to continue and funding "should" be provided if you are UK/EU. But in both cases, you need a distinction to continue. Also, MSc Research can take more advance classes than MSc.