Urch Forums

Which schools REQUIRE fall grades?

doubleblind

I know there has been written a lot about fall grades, but I wasn't able to find an answer to my following question:

Which schools actually require submitting fall grades?

For me, it's pretty clear that I do not wish to submit my fall grades, so the question is only whether or not I have to. I am particularly interested in Harvard and MIT.

Thank you so much!

All I can say is the following: NOBODY ONE KNOWS THIS, so please stop asking.. (this question was asked at least once already). Or more likely, the departments that absolutely will 100% certainty don't care about fall grades are those whose adcoms meet so early that it is probably too late to apply there by now.

You can submit only grades before the fall semester and the following will happen:

1. They won't care.

2. They care about these grades and will not look at your application because of that.

3. They will ask you to submit the transcript of fall grades before adcoms meet, in which case the adcom will see the fall grades anyways.

In particular, (2) and (3) can apply to departments that accept applications up to mid January or even later than that. They _know_ the transcripts should be available at least from domestic universities by the time the adcom meets, so it is usually implicitly assumed the fall grades will be there.

In addition, even those schools that don't "require" fall scripts still want you to report your GPA and grades in essential courses (math, econ, etc) as known AT the time of application, which means that if you're submitting the application form to those schools about right now, it still should reflect your fall semester performance in some way. This information will have to match the fall semester transcript once you submit it (Even if you're admitted, most universities require that you submit all pending transcripts before being formally enrolled, specially if they don't have a transcript that says you hold some kind of a degree).

There are some universities that require all of the application materials to be available during the first week of January, because that's when their adcom supposedly means, so such departments probably do not expect your fall grades to arrive by the time adcoms meet (I think Cornell might be such a department because they mention something like that).