Urch Forums

Phd in Europe - preferably development economics, labour economics and public finance

Wooky

Hey.

I have been reading forum for some time and found many useful hints and advices (thanks). But still some help is needed.

I am going to apply for phd in economics in Europe this year . My major interests are development economics, labor economics and public finance.

So far I have chosen to apply for following phd programs (in order of importance):

Florence – I’ve heard a lot of good things about EUI – the problem is that as I have seen on web page faculty staff don’t work on my research interest.

Tilburg – I was studying there on Erasmus so I quite know what to expect. A small disadvantage – firstly students have to study on second year of Mphil, average grade of 8.0 is needed. What’s more I don’t know what are the chances of getting scholarship?

Boccioni – probably a nice place to live but in fact I don’t know a lot about the faculty? Can you comment on that?

SSE – there are development economics professors. How is it compared to Stokholm University? And how about finance?

Tinbergen – looks ok, but they seem to focus on econometrics and statistics. Don’t know what other opportunities are?

Geothe – a friend of my advised me that department, since they have invested a lot of money and have a lot of US professors. But as I can see it’s not well know, isn’t it?

What else would you advice me? Especially taking into account my research interest.

I will be grateful for any help.

SSE – there are development economics professors. How is it compared to Stokholm University? And how about finance?
The course program of Stockholm University Economics Dept and SSE is given jointly (see here). I would imagine you could have thesis advisors at any institution(s), so it probably comes down more to what name you want on your resume. SSE is extremely prestigeous in Sweden for their undergraduate business programs, whilst SU might be more prestigeous in the larger academic community for economics. If you really :whistle: want to do the program (which seems essentially the same at either school), you should probably apply for both.

Tinbergen – looks ok, but they seem to focus on econometrics and

Your perception is completely wrong. Tinbergen is extremely strong in labor economics and development. Free University is very strong in development. [ Have you never heard of Sow (SOW-VU) However, development economists are not solely working in the Development Economics group; the Stichting Onderzoek Wereldvoedselvoorziening (SOW - Centre for World Food Studies), and the Economic and Social Institute (ESI) employ well known development economists as well. Due to the presence of these institutes, with whom the department collaborates on a regular basis, the Vrije Universiteit is one of the best places for the study of development economics.

Then, you also have SCHOLAR at University of Amsterdam....

In fact, if you are applying to Tilburg, they will require you to apply for a Huygens Scholarship in order to be considered for a scholarship of the department. I do, however, not have any information about chances for actually obtaining such a scholarship.

Thanks for your answers.

Economicus - indeed I was wrong. I wrote to my fellow citizen at TI, read ones more TI-webside and found your old posts. TI seems to give great opportunities even if you change topic of your study during mphil.

That's why I guess TI has gone up to first place, followed by Florence, Tilburg, Bocconi (of which I don't know much) and SSE. I will probably also try SU, since these schools are quite similar.

Do you think there is a point in applying for other programs? Upf has strange criteria of admission, Juan Carlós requires all documents to be translated into spanish :/ Touluse is not for me. I am thinking perhaps UCL or Warwick?

Thanks once more for your help

• 2 weeks later...
Wooky, the way I understand CM 3, translation of documents to Spanish is only done after admission. For the application, it is not needed. I am interested in applying for European programs too. Im only applying to UPF, CM 3, UAB, CEMFI, and a couple more programs. I heard of Bonn and Tolouse too.

hey asianeconomist. i thought of applying of there too. but i dont think i want to live in london. there won't be a big difference from living in toronto i suppose. and i want to learn a new language. also, the meditteranean climate seems more attractive. hehe.

Cambridge might satisfy your conditions. And you can always pick up a new language from the language centre.:D

Hi,

I think you have narrowed your choices.

There are a lot of good institutions to match your interests i.e. Bonn, PFabra, EHESS, Tolouse, Stochkholm U, UCL, LSE etc.

The development economics gradutes of EHESS are teaching at Harvard, Columbia etc, UAB & Toluse are strong in Pub Eco, Tilburg in Labor Eco. You mentioned EUI but I thing EUI has more credentials in Macro and Econometrics - look up past PhD dissertations.

Also dont neglect the extra course and research resources available through network activities i.e. ENTER & EDP which are open to member universities.

You may also look at Econphd.net rankings econphd.net/rankings.

Regards.