Urch Forums

The Decisions Thread

Canuckonomist

A la the good work of the_asker;

Time to start piling all the decisions together in one thread. It is always one of the most exciting threads every year, so feel free to add your news! The template is below. Hopefully TMers such as Texcards and Econtastic will get us started with their good news!

Institution:

Program:

Decision:

Funding:

Notification date:

Notified through:

Comments:

Remember, this thread is for reference only, so please keep comments in a different thread.

• Like 1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Institution: UC-Riverside

Program: Economics PhD

Decision: Accepted

Funding: Dean's Distinguished Fellowship: Tuition & Fees +13.5K stipend first year, minimum of 16.6K for TA/RA next 4 years + Health Insurance

Notification date: 1/22/09

Notified through: E-mail

Comments: May this be one of the first of many for all of TM!

Institution: UC-Riverside

Program: Economics PhD

Funding: Chancellor's Distinguished Fellowship: Tuition & Fees +13.5K stipend first year, minimum of 16.6K for TA/RA next 4 years + Health Insurance

Notification date: 1/21/09

Notified through: E-mail

Comments: Let the acceptances come quickly and funding flow freely for all TMers!! :)

Institution: Cornell

Program: PhD Economics

Decision: Rejected

Funding:

Notification date: 01/26/09

Notified through: Email

Comments: last year I went till the final rounds, got a rejection in april. even the person i corresponded with said i had passed the earlier rounds so to say. this time if nething my app was stronger, perhaps the economy has finally taken its toll on me!

Institution: University of South Florida

Program: Economics MA

Decision: Rejected

Funding: N/A

Notification date: Maybe October?

Notified through: Two e-mails

Comments: I didn't meet a requirement of theirs. It would have been nice if they mentioned on their website that they had the requirement. Would have saved me some $.

Institution: Colorado State

Funding: Under Consideration - decision should be made in March

Notification date: December 10th, 2008 (rolling admissions)

Notified through: Website followed by letter

Comments: They did a great job of keeping me informed on the process.

Institution: Illinois State

Funding: No word yet

Notification date: Late December

Notified through: Website

Comments: This is my alma mater. It was my super-safety, slam dunk application.

Institution: University of Nevada-Reno

Program: Resource Economics MA

Funding: No word yet

Notification date: 1/19/09

Notified through: Letter

Comments: Pretty nice letter (I guess all acceptance letters are nice). No word on funding (not even a mention on whether I'm being considered).

I've had some good luck in hearing back from schools so far. Let's hope my luck continues with my remaining schools and funding decisions.

This thread might be sticky worthy

I haven't received an email for Cornell. If I wasn't rejected this round, it can only mean that they lost my application... or that the msg went to my spam box.

Anyhow, good luck with all your other applications! This is just a fluke, I am sure! Better things shall come!

You're waiting for postal mail, not e-mail. Usually. (but then again you may not be rejected).

Let me shed some light on what the Cornell process is like. I'm upset that they started their rejections already, but they tend to behave less like "rounds" and more like a trickle. A couple people will get letters every other day (they used to send all rejects by post) from now until about the first week of march. In one day, they e-mail everyone who was accepted with funding. Then the rejects continue. In April, a few unfunded offers will trickle out. Rejections continue into May. I should know, I wasn't rejected until May 7th last year. I received an e-mail saying "You're kinda waitlisted, and in limbo between an unfunded offer, or a rejection". (Though a stronger profile, randomnimity will prevent a guarentee on my admittance this year, however.)

In any case, don't sweat it too much. Buck up.

Canuck.

Institution: Oregon State Univ

Program: Ag. & Resource Economics PHD

Funding: RA - 15k+tuition for four years

Notification date: Jan. 22, 2009

Notified through: Phone call

Comments: Head of the department had to fly out to my college town on business two days after my acceptance. We got coffee and she tried to seduce me into their program. Corvallis sounds like a great contingency plan.