Urch Forums

Big Day?

jeeves0923

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even better, given precedent, it's not likely to be bad news, only the fellowship winners.

Also, do TM applications to Duke seem to be down this year? :P

Yes, I think so. Who besides me is applying there? A guy from my undergrad is at Duke now and passed his prelims in the fall with flying colors. I should write him a thank you note.

Beware of Duke, for they tend to accept a narrow range of applicants. One kid I knew was accepted to Yale and a few other top 10 schools but was rejected to Duke. One theory is that if they think you won't accept their offer (possibly because you are an overqualified candidate), they will not admit you. So if you get rejected, have no fear, for it doesn't mean you are doomed with respect to your future admission results.

Beware of Duke, for they tend to accept a narrow range of applicants. One kid I knew was accepted to Yale and a few other top 10 schools but was rejected to Duke. One theory is that if they think you won't accept their offer (possibly because you are an overqualified candidate), they will not admit you. So if you get rejected, have no fear, for it doesn't mean you are doomed with respect to your future admission results.

I think I may not be in this boat. One of my letter writers is still relatively well connected at Duke (that's where she did her PhD) and she still publishes with someone there as well. I know she wrote a rather glowing letter, so if I get rejected at Duke, I think it'll be a bad sign of things to come for me.

This happened to a friend of mine (and a poster here). He was pretty down about his rejection until Chicago took him.

Is this a common practice? I think I'm borderline for the top 10. What if none of the top-10 accept me, and some of the 11-25 or so schools would like to accept me, but think that I might be top 10 level and therefore reject me, and I get in nowhere?

Is this a common practice? I think I'm borderline for the top 10. What if none of the top-10 accept me, and some of the 11-25 or so schools would like to accept me, but think that I might be top 10 level and therefore reject me, and I get in nowhere?

This just can't happen* :) Although some schools definitely reject people who are not going to accept their offer, I don't believe that this makes a huge difference for most of us.

I think that a borderline top-10 profile (if that's really an accurate label for yours) wouldn't be rejected as "too good". Perhaps a superstar top-5 would.....

Anyway, last February I got rejected by Duke. This should have woken me up, and I should have realized that my application was not good enough for my targets. I 'misunderestimated' this signal and bet my money on what I perceived as the randomness of the admission process ("ok, I got rejected by no 25, but I may still get in a top-10. things are random, u know"). If I had been smarter, I would have had more time to make an alternative plan. Finally, I was lucky and this mistake didn't cost me anything. So, it may be true that Duke does this and that, but act and make your plans as if it's not

*can't=== highly unlikely

In the future I will definitely apply to Duke...they have an amazing basketball arena and a great team!!! Maybe not a popular reason for an application though..:)

A bit off topic, but is it feasible that a fact like this could theoretically help be a deciding factor in the decision process for the applicant? Assuming that they got into two schools, same credentials and relative rankings, funding, research interests, etc. I'm a huge sports fan and hailing from UCSD (no football team, boo, though we claim to be undefeated whenever anyone asks [0-0]) I would LOVE to go to a big time sports school...at least as an extension of a top Econ program. If only to be a part of those awesome football/basketball games :D

Good question. I've aggregated Roll Call data, and based on the cross tabs I get, there were 14 out of 50 (28.0%) people who applied to 4 or more top 10 (by econphd.net rankings) programs who didn't get admitted to any, 10 out of 41 (24.4%) who applied to 5 or more, 8 out of 37 (21.6%) who applied to 6 or more, 3 out of 29 (10.3%) who applied to 7 or more, 3 out of 23 (13.0%) who applied to 8 or more, 3 out of 17 (17.7%) who applied to 9 or more, and 1 out of 9 (11.1%) who applied to all 10.

As a side note, 8 of the 50 who applied to 7 or more were only accepted to 1, and 4 of 41 who applied to 6 or more were only accepted to 1, followed by 4 of the 37, 3 of the 29, 2 of the 23, 2 of the 27, and 2 of the 9. That is to say that more than half in each group is accepted by more than 1! (note I use the cut-off (applied to more than, so the same 2 of the 23 is the 2 of the 9).

Also, I'm pretty sure all of these applicants who applied somewhere lower were accepted.

A bit off topic, but is it feasible that a fact like this could theoretically help be a deciding factor in the decision process for the applicant? Assuming that they got into two schools, same credentials and relative rankings, funding, research interests, etc. I'm a huge sports fan and hailing from UCSD (no football team, boo, though we claim to be undefeated whenever anyone asks [0-0]) I would LOVE to go to a big time sports school...at least as an extension of a top Econ program. If only to be a part of those awesome football/basketball games :D

Wisconsin basketball and Berkeley and Michigan football are right up your alley. I'm sure there are more programs...just can't remember. :p