Urch Forums

What portion of results get posted on Gradcafe?

elcapitano

Anyone have any ideas? I guess one could get an estimate by counting up acceptance and rejections to a couple of places that publish the # of apps and acceptances and comparing? Has anyone been so desperate for diversionary activities that they've done this in the past?

I'd guess that a higher portion of acceptances than rejections get posted...

I ask because some places seem to like to send rejections out first in dribs and drabs (Duke, Cornell i'm looking at you), of course rejections might be overrepresented at these places because of the way they do things which would screw things up.

My guestimate is cca 1/7. I counted it last year, but I do not remember the procedure.

My guess is considerably less than 1/7 (there are over 200 universities, each university with about 20 departments, and each department getting roughly 100 applicants when the total applicant pool is averaged between them). Yea...there's no sound statistical evidence backing up this claim but it sounds feasible.

My experience is that enough acceptances/rejections are posted for you on gradcafe (or shared on TestMagic) to determine whether schools send the acceptances all at once, rejections all at once, or in dibs and drabs for either category like you say. I don't believe gradcafe is good for much more than that, so I don't see much value in further analysis.

My experience is that enough acceptances/rejections are posted for you on gradcafe (or shared on TestMagic) to determine whether schools send the acceptances all at once, rejections all at once, or in dibs and drabs for either category like you say. I don't believe gradcafe is good for much more than that, so I don't see much value in further analysis.

^^^This is totally correct. Trust gradcafe when you see 10+ similar postings. There's always some jerk posting 2 or 3 fake Harvard/MIT econ admits each year. Ignore them. And there is almost always someone on TM to confirm legit gradcafe posts.

I was more interested in how many real rejections x posted rejections implies (from schools that send out rejections first) this would kindof tell us how far we are from acceptances. I counted for Cornell, and last year their were 17 rejections before the first acceptance, and in the previous year 10. So far this year we're on 12 but I get the feeling that we're not close to acceptances so I guess the whole thing is a wash.