Urch Forums

The ARE Decisions Thread

kinghalo

The title is self-explanatory. Why don't we have The decisions thread for ARE PhD programs?

After reading through "Roll Calls for 2009" and "The Decisions Thread", I figured that there are a good number of people who applied for ARE PhD to start an independent decisions thread. This way, we don't have to fill the decisioins thread with unnecessary questions like, "Econ or ARE?" to a decison which doesn't specify the type of program. Plus, I am getting tired of searching for replies related to ARE in "The Decisions Thread," most of the replies of which are about ECON.

I would be glad if a few of us who got admitted repost their results to make this thread complete ARE decisions thread for 2009. Future generations of TMers as well as us, will benefit with saving considerable amount of time in finding useful information about ARE PhD application.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll repost from the other decisions thread.

Institution: UC Davis

Program: ARE Phd.

Decision: Accepted

Funding: Full

Notification date: 2/3/09

Notified through: Phone call

Comments: I was supposed to learn more about funding, the fly-out, etc. via e-mail but I have not heard them since I was called. I emailed Christ Hansen but got no response. Has anyone else who got accepted heard more from them?

I haven't received any further information beyond the initial voicemail/email. It was said that she would be in touch "soon" with this information, so I wouldn't worry yet.

Based on the last couple years it looks like funding should be about 16.5k/year. They've changed up how they do admissions though it seems, because they used to invite people to the open house prior to acceptance, from what I understand.

Re-post from the Decisions Thread:

Institution: Oregon State

Program: AREC PhD

Decision: Accepted

Funding: RA - 15k + tuition

Notification date: 1/22

Notified through: Phone call

Comments: Perfectly fine with heading to Corvallis, although I still have my fingers crossed...

I guess it should be noted that I think my Oregon State admit was made so early because the department head had to fly into my college town on business and she suggested we get coffee and chat about the program. I think that it was a convenient circumstance and that those who applied to OSU shouldn't fret about not hearing yet. It is, however, a very small program and they only have enough funding to give an RA/TA to 5 or 6 students each year.

It seems that some of the people admitted at Davis (ARE) have also been nominated for a schoolwide fellowship... Do you think it's possible that they've only notified applicants who have also been nominated for a fellowship and that a general round of acceptances is yet to come?

That's what I've been told; I don't believe they have sent out their general acceptance letters yet.

Who did you hear that from? ...sounds promising.

I really wish that's the case. :hmm:

Agreed. I was literally shaking once I heard Davis was handing out acceptances. Where else have you applied Kinghalo/what is your intended field of specialization?

To Oregon State applicants, I just got a response email saying that my letter of acceptance will be sent out this week. I'm making the assumption that they'll be printing out a few other letters and mailing them at the same time. I have a feeling they'll use the phone for funded offers--but don't neglect the mail-man either.

Who did you hear that from? ...sounds promising.

Agreed. I was literally shaking once I heard Davis was handing out acceptances. Where else have you applied Kinghalo/what is your intended field of specialization?

I applied to UCB, UCD, Iowa State, NCS and UIUC (which I am attending currently). My interest is in environmental economics. I think I'm gonna post my profile at the Roll Call thread when I have time. I am inundated with classes and thesis right now (and worrying about results......), though.