Urch Forums

Admitted... Now What?

3ohto4oh

I searched this forum quite a bit before starting a thread on this topic, which will hopefully be an important one for many of us soon. I am interested in the actions an admitted student should take:

1) ...upon admission, before funding decisions are finalized/announced;and

2) ...upon receiving news of a fellowship/TA/RA or any other award.

At what point (#1 or #2) should an admit begin to contact the department? Also, what questions should an admit ask the department before accepting and sending in a deposit?

All serious programs don't require you to respond to them until April 15th. If you are in a less than ideal funding situation (one school is offering you funding while another school that you like better isn't) I recommend that you hold off until April 15th to turn down the one that hasn't offered you funding and wait to see what happens. If there are schools that dominate another with funding taken into account decline the dominated ones for the sake of your fellow applicants.

Also once you're admitted you can contact anyone at the school about the program. They are there to answer your questions.

Best of Luck!

Say you prefer school A, but school B offers you funding. It's the deadline and you accept school B. Then a month later school A offers you funding. You would unfortunately be bound to school B, right?

If you accept school B you can still back off this acceptance I believe, no?

Also, what questions should an admit ask the department before accepting and sending in a deposit?

I think this is one of the questions I've been dealing with too. I'm curious to see what is most important to TMers in different econ programs. Big or small program? How important is location? How important is ranking compared to some of the program's other attributes (other than funding, since this is being discussed elsewhere).

Any thoughts?

Try this thread.

From this thread:

April 15 is the last day you can turn down an offer of funding at one school in order to accept an offer of funding at another school. You can accept a school and back out later, and schools can offer you funding after April 15. Schools cannot require you to make a decision before April 15. This deadline is the result of an agreement between the many schools that form the Council of Graduate schools, and you can read about it here.