Urch Forums

Masters in Economics

Econ Bob

MBA is much better for money if that's your career - management/econ consulting even. However if you do want a phd; even eventually, a masters may be more help to getting into a good school.

It depends on your career goals. personally I decided that achievement means more and I am going for the PhD now. $ still matter some, so i'm not doing it without funding, but i'm giving up quite a salary for the PhD. Which is what you'll face if you have a decent mba.

If you get a masters in econ, work for 5-10 years in the private sector in something unrelated to academic econ, and then apply to top PhDs, the masters won't help you that much admissions and funding purposes. It might help a bit for lower-ranked programs, but top programs won't want to see you working for so long (unless you're working as an RA or something involving academic econ). Most top programs take people either directly from undergrad or masters or from an RA job. Few people would get in to a top program after, for example, earning a masters and then working as an ibanker for 5-10 years.