Urch Forums

GRE Math Subject Test

Peruano929

Has anyone taken the Math GRE Subject Test? If so, was it difficult?

Anybody submit a math subject test score to Ph.D.'s?

According to one of, if not the top student here in math, it was hard, and I imagine this person wouldn't advise it to anyone who isn't a math major of some sort (that is, has a serious well-rounded collection of math classes, including abstract algebra). I'll note she was accepted to a top 10 program in Math for a Ph.D, so I hold her word pretty strongly.

Nope... Most people choose to send 'em out at the same time because its cheaper, 20 bucks a score report is ridiculous and sending them separate would double it. On the other hand, I don't think you can send different subject tests separately.

And I think either "on" or "at" would be acceptable in the current context. Although "on" has more adult undertones.

If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to report subject test scores (ie. while they can be reported with your general test scores they do not have to be). So it shouldn't hurt you unless you choose to send them.

I think on the GRE test report it has a section for subject test. So you are saying that you can elect to leave that blank?

I would doubt that the GRE math subject score would have much of an effect on econ admissions. Even most math programs don't put that much weight on the exam. It's used as more of a cutoff for applications (ie you must have a certain score to be considered). Generally for a top 10 math program you have to score above the 80th percentile. However, its not a strict cutoff. There are numerous people in the top 10 for math who have scored below the 60th. I'm taking the test next october and I will say that it is a very very difficult exam.

My line of thinking was this:

There is a huge emphasis placed on math on this forum. And the math subject test is supposed to test your level of math. If you score high, then supposed you have a good grasp of algebra, calc, et cetera. Therefore, it would be an asset. No?

The reason math is important is because the type of reasoning needed to write good proofs and to understand certain aspects of classes like Real Analysis are very useful in economic theory. The Math GRE tests more exposure to topics, and thus can access if a student paid attention in their classes, but can't really test a students reasoning ability, which is more important for a phd student in both subjects, hence neither math nor econ care much, and econ probably cares almost none.

Everything that everyone says here about this is just an opinon, since we don't have real information on how adcoms would react to scores of the GRE Math Subject Test.

I'm of the particular opinion that a strong score would be valuable for admission purposes. Adcoms put a high weight on applicants' math background, and I believe a good score on the math subject test would be a strong signal (even though I'm not sure of what could be classified as a "good" score to the adcoms, but I suppose they wouldn't expect, much less require, near perfect scores like they do on the math section of the general test).

If they use the general test (that requires only high school math) as a cutoff, I believe that a test designed to people with a major in math can be very useful to give adcoms at least a better idea of your math skills. The fact that adcoms of math programs only use the subject test as a cutoff doesn't imply whatsoever that adcoms of econ programs wouldn't give much weight to the test. But, again, this is only my opinion.

So, if you believe you can do well on the test, I would say go for it (not for this cycle, of course, it is too late now). Economics is very competitive, so anything that can give you a comparative advantage is valuable. Even if a good score on the math subject test won't give you much of an advantage, it certainly won't hurt you.

And I also don't think that you are forced to report both the general and the subject tests. I remember that, when I ordered my reports, they asked if I wanted to report the general, the subject or both. And, for the "both" option, it was twice the cost, if I remember correctly.

Three of my friends recently took the Math GRE subject test (for Math PhD apps). All three of them are very smart kids, but two of them bomb it and didn't even submit the score. The who did well took Measure Theory as a sophomore and at least got a 5/6 on the Putnam.

So yes, it is extremely difficult. I remember looking at some of the questions last summer and even the easier analysis question weren't obvious.

I'd have to imagine that a high score would help at least some in admissions, but considering how difficult the test is, financial concerns, and the marginal impact it would have on admissions, I would recommend against taking the test.

Three of my friends recently took the Math GRE subject test (for Math PhD apps). All three of them are very smart kids, but two of them bomb it and didn't even submit the score. The who did well took Measure Theory as a sophomore and at least got a 5/6 on the Putnam.

So yes, it is extremely difficult. I remember looking at some of the questions last summer and even the easier analysis question weren't obvious.

I'd have to imagine that a high score would help at least some in admissions, but considering how difficult the test is, financial concerns, and the marginal impact it would have on admissions, I would recommend against taking the test.

I would recommend economics majors to distinguish themselves in other areas. Unless you have all the classes a pure math major has and have a lot of spare time, the math GRE is going to be tough. I'm not sure where the percentage cutoff are but I do know from skimming the test that it's almost impossible to get every question right (mostly because of the huge variety of mathematical areas).

I would recommend economics majors to distinguish themselves in other areas. Unless you have all the classes a pure math major has and have a lot of spare time, the math GRE is going to be tough. I'm not sure where the percentage cutoff are but I do know from skimming the test that it's almost impossible to get every question right (mostly because of the huge variety of mathematical areas).

Yeah, the impression I got was that the questions themselves were not that bad, but they all required that you had taken a course in that subject and immediately recalled all of the important aspects of that subject. Like if you were to take the questions of the test on any given subject right after taking a course on that subject, then it wouldn't be too bad, but having the recall details from Algebra, Topology, Analysis, Geometry, Calc, LA, and ODE's all at once is rough. Somewhat like a math comp-lite. Except with Math comps, at least at my school, it's more like field exams.

And I was told that getting over half of the questions correct is a respectable score.

Yeah, the impression I got was that the questions themselves were not that bad, but they all required that you had taken a course in that subject and immediately recalled all of the important aspects of that subject. Like if you were to take the questions of the test on any given subject right after taking a course on that subject, then it wouldn't be too bad, but having the recall details from Algebra, Topology, Analysis, Geometry, Calc, LA, and ODE's all at once is rough. Somewhat like a math comp-lite. Except with Math comps, at least at my school, it's more like field exams.

And I was told that getting over half of the questions correct is a respectable score.

Yes exactly, when I skimmed the questions (especially the calculus ones), I thought, "Man I could solve these if I just finished studying for the finals of the associated course."

The reason math is important is because the type of reasoning needed to write good proofs and to understand certain aspects of classes like Real Analysis are very useful in economic theory. The Math GRE tests more exposure to topics, and thus can access if a student paid attention in their classes, but can't really test a students reasoning ability, which is more important for a phd student in both subjects, hence neither math nor econ care much, and econ probably cares almost none.

I don't disagree, but even if the math subject test is not a perfect signal, it's not necessarily useless. I think the contribution would also depend of one's profile. If you graduated from a top-30 university in the US and did very well on your math classes, than probably the test wouldn't add anything to your chances of being admitted.

But people always say around here that, if you graduated from a foreign institution or a lesser ranked public university in the US, than your grades won't say much about you because adcoms don't have much information about your program, and even that very high grades could arise doubts on adcoms about the overall quality of your program. In this situation, having a good score in a standardized test, especially one perceived as being difficult, could be valuable in my opinion.

That said, I agree that a econ major probably would fail in the math subject test. But the OP said he has a math major and he believes he could do well on it.

The point of writing the proofs yourself is to really understand the theorems and way of thinking. I think the subject tests gets at this. It's not as it it's a memorization test.

Also, I would assume that people pay attention in their math classes. If you can only recall stuff near the final exam then you're probably approaching your math classes in an inadvisable fashion; you're cramming and that never works for math (or any subject of worth).