Urch Forums

Please advise on UPF/PSE M1/TSE M1/LSE for an unusual profile

PHDism

I am in somewhat unusual position, so could somebody spare me advice? What would be a choice between UPF (one year), PSE M1, TSE M1 and LSE (probably 2 years) if the goal is PhD in Economics oriented towards Development?

I am in my 30s, so opportunity cost of an extra year hear and there is significant. I am in UPF, rejected of TSE M2, but probably in TSE M1. I imagine I would be in PSE M1 too. I have to give UPF answer within couple weeks, so I need to get the priorities straight till then.

My weakness is an hole-in-the wall undegrad and policy oriented grad school (among the top if its kind) that had no math to speak of. Since then I have taken Math here and there as non-degree student. I have also worked at the World Bank for over 4 years. But raving recommendations from WB and econ professor (from top 10 econ) - do not seam to completely mitigate irrelevance of my degrees and lack of math. And then there is an issue not of age per se - but of time spent outside academia - that an adcom member of top 10 has hinted to me. Still, I did not expect to be rejected from TSE M2. But I am taking two more math courses this semester, so TSE M1 and PSE M1 should be realistic.

So what would you choose - UPF (not funded) but one year, TSE and PSE (almost free tuition, but two years), or LSE (not funded two years). Then assuming I want to continue to PhD (same place or better). I will be quitting WB for this, so whatever it is has to be worth it.