Urch Forums

Profiles and Results 2009

asquare

Since many people have received all of their decisions, it seems like a good time to create this thread. This thread pertains to applications submitted in late 2008, for entry into the PhD program for the 2009/2010 school year.

The Profiles and Results thread has become a tradition on the econ forum. It is a useful reference for future applicants who are wondering about the profiles of students who are admitted and rejected from various schools.

This thread is meant to be a reference thread only. Please fill out the information below, but post any comments or questions in a separate thread. Other comments will be deleted from this thread. Note that you can only edit your posts for about one hour after you make them. This means that if you are still waiting on admissions decisions, you should wait to post your profile on this thread. Otherwise, your profile will be incomplete.

Without further ado...

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:

Undergrad GPA:

Type of Grad:

Grad GPA:

GRE:

Math Courses:

Econ Courses:

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation:

Research Experience:

Teaching Experience:

Research Interests:

SOP:

Other:

RESULTS:

Acceptances:

Waitlists:

Rejections:

Pending:

What would you have done differently?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: UC Santa Cruz - Econ major, Earth Science minor

Undergrad GPA: 3.90

Type of Grad:

Grad GPA:

GRE: 800Q 610V 4.0A

Math Courses: At time of app, just the full vector calc sequence, plus two math for econ courses (not even LA!)

Econ Courses: standard core courses in intermediate theory

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: Must have said great things to get me into UCSB with my profile (1 TA + class + advisor (Stanford), 1 research (Berkeley), 1 class + advisor (UW-Madison)

Research Experience: Just earth science and ecology research experience

Teaching Experience: One quarter TA for Intro Micro

Research Interests: Environmental Econ

SOP: Indicated VERY strong preference to attend UCSB, the others just described how I liked some of their profs, etc.

Other:

RESULTS:

Acceptances: UCSB

Waitlists:

Rejections: Cal-ARE, UCSD

Pending:

What would you have done differently? Nothing, I was appropriately placed. I doubt that research experience would have gotten me into Cal or UCSD, and I didnt' want to leave the west coast. More math at time of app probably would have been helpful, but look at where that got Jeeves0923. I would have probably chosen UCSB over UCSD anyway (if I had gotten in).

I am quite satisfied with this cycle. Good luck everybody.

• Like 2

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Large Private University, Top 10 Econ/Top 5 Math

Undergrad GPA: 3.82 (4.0 Econ, 3.9 Math)

Type of Grad:

Grad GPA:

GRE: 790Q, 640V, 6.0AWA

Math Courses: Calc Sequence, Linear Algebra, Number Theory, Real Analysis I, Real Analysis II, Algebra I, Combinatorics, Topology, Math Stats, Grad. Linear

Econ Courses: Intros, Micro Theory, Macro Theory, Econometrics, Senior Seminar, International Econ (1 yr), Organizational Analysis, Finance, Math Econ

Other Courses: Ind. study in Game Theory and Math Econ, Intro Operations Research

Letters of Recommendation: 2 really good ones, 1 fairly good one

Research Experience: Spent a summer RAing and trying to write a paper

Teaching Experience: Grading

Research Interests: Micro theory, decision theory, game theory, mech. design, experimental... list keeps growing actually

SOP: Wrote about what I liked, what I'd done, I got comments on being "very specific" in my SOP from schools that I've gotten in to

RESULTS:

Acceptances: Harvard, Caltech, Rochester, Cornell, PSU, Northwestern, UMinn

Waitlists: UPenn

Rejections: Princeton, Stanford GSB, Stanford Econ, Berkeley

Pending: NYU, BU

What would you have done differently? I would have applied to less safeties, but that's really an ex-post judgment. I think I had a good year, though Stanford GSB was my dream school, but oh well, life goes on.

Comments: I think italos is right, LOR is everything!

• Like 1

Profile:

Type of Undergrad: Top 25 with a top 40ish econ program. BA in econ.

Undergrad GPA: Overall: 3.74, Econ: 3.8ish, Math: bad.

Type of Grad: Not highly ranked, top 100ish. MS in applied math.

Grad GPA (at application time...): 3.9

GRE: 790Q / 740V / 5.0 AWA.

Math Courses:

Undergrad: Calc III (B+), ODE (C- (Ouch...)), Real Analysis (A-), Linear Algebra (A).

Grad: Analysis (A-) (taken at the summer school of a top 10), Measure Theory (A-), Math Stats (A), ODE (A), Functional Analysis (A), General Topology (In progress at application time...)

Econ Courses:

Undergrad: Intro. Micro (A), Intro. Macro (A), Money and Banking (A), Economy of China (A-), Intro to Econ Stats (B+), Mathematical Micro (A), Intermediate Macro (B+), Econometrics (A), International Trade (A), Distinguished Majors Seminar (A), Independent Study (A)

Grad: PhD Micro I (A-), PhD Micro II (A), PhD Micro III (IP)

Letters of Recommendation:

1 from an undergraduate econ professor, not well known.

1 from a graduate math prof, very well known among mathematicians but I don't know if that counts...

1 from a graduate econ prof, very well known.

Research Experience: Summer at the Fed, senior thesis, 1 year + 1 summer as an RA for a professor, RAing at the IMF while applying.

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: Micro Theory, I/O, International Finance

Results:

Acceptances: NYU ($$$)

Waitlists: None

Rejections: A lot, Harvard, MIT, Chicago, Yale, Berkeley, Stanford, Columbia, and UPenn.

Pending: None.

What would you have done differently? If I could do it ALL over again, I'd probably go to an undergrad that was stronger in econ, take more math courses earlier on, and work as hard my first couple years in college as I did my last couple. But I was expecting to get rejected everywhere I applied this time around, so I'm ecstatic to be going to a dream school like NYU.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A in Econ-Phil and Math. Ivy League, top 10ish in economics Uni.

Undergrad GPA: 3.85, summa cum laude.

GRE: 780Q, 510V, 3.0W

Math Courses (undergrad):

Cal I, Calc III, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, Analysis and Optimization, Probability and Induction (P/F), Probability and Statistics, Advanced Logic, Independent Reading Course, (all As)

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Micro-econometrics (A-)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro/Macro(A-,B+), Advanced Econometrics (B+), Advanced Macro (A), Economic History (A-), International (C, took abroad in Ghana.)

Letters of Recommendation: 2 econ, both well known. 1 math, well known in math. 1 philosophy, well known in the philosophy of science.

Research Experience: REU Intern in geophysics at Lamont Earth Observatory, summer 2007 (My paper was accepted to the 2008 ASLO Conference). Full-time economics RA this year.

Research Interests: Development, Economic History, Alternative Theories in Economics, Econometrics.

SOP: Talked about why I chose interdisciplinary study, my work abroad in Ghana and my experience this year as a research assistant. I stated that I expected to change my mind about my specialization anyway, so I didn't want to state a particular one.

Applied to: LSE, MIT, NYU, Harvard, UCSD, UC Berkeley, Chicago, Stanford, Columbia, UMich, Princeton, Yale

Rejected: Everywhere

Waitlisted/Accepted: Nada

What would you have done differently? I dunno. Feedback from my home institutions admissions committee (where I was also rejected) says that I should have taken more econ (at the expense of my philosophy and science courses) but I would not give that knowledge and my resulting world outlook up for an admit to this discipline, because I feel that this will inform my research abilities more so than having taken much more economics. I have to do a lot of thinking now about whether I belong in this discipline, seeing as the adcoms don't seem to think so. Today is sad.

• Like 1

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: University of Maryland - Environmental Economics w/ Math minor

Undergrad GPA: 3.77, magna cum laude

Type of Grad: none

Grad GPA: n/a

GRE: 770Q 540V 4.0AWA

Math Courses: Calc I-III (A-,B,A), Linear Algebra (A-), Differential Equations (A-), Number Theory (B), Advanced Calculus I (B), Probability Theory (B), Mathematical Statistics (TBD)

Econ Courses: Intro Micro and Macro (A,B+), Intermediate Micro (B+), Economic Statistics (A+), Intro Econ & Environment (A), Econ of Nat'l Resources (A), Econ of Land Use (A), Public Finance (A+), Game Theory (A+), Econometrics I (A), Intermediate Macro (TBD), Econ of Climate Change (TBD)

Other Courses: Environmental Policy and Philosophy courses, all A's

Letters of Recommendation: 2 AREC and 1 ECON professor, well known and respected in their fields, should have been solid

Research Experience: ~2-3 years as an undergrad RA in the AREC department. Currently and at time of application, working on honors thesis that has been described as "ambitious," hope to have a publishable version this summer.

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: Environmental/resource economics, computational economics, applied micro

SOP: Tried to make it engaging, explained why I wanted to be an econimist (environmental research!), talked about my own research and what I wanted to in the future, etc.

Other: n/a

RESULTS:

Acceptances: UC Davis ARE Ph.D. ($), UW Madison AAE MS (no$), Cornell AEM (no$)

Waitlists: none

Rejections: Harvard, Yale, Michigan, UT Austin, UC Berkeley ARE, UW Madison AAE Ph.D., Cornell AEM Ph.D.

Pending: none

What would you have done differently? On hand I would have done nothing differently: you really only need one good admit and I am more than satisfied with UC Davis. On the other hand, if I had to do it all over again I would have made sure to have a 4.0 Econ GPA (because I'm sure those 2 B+'s set off red flags), got at least ONE A in my upper level math and found the time/energy to take the graduate micro series. My QGRE was also at the lower bound of what I would have liked it to have been, but I do not think taking the GRE again would have been worth it. I also would have applied to more mid-range top 20-25 ECON schools instead of Harvard and Yale.

All in all, I feel pretty good about how the whole thing went. I'll be attending UC Davis ARE in the fall!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Econ major from a top 5-10 liberal arts college.

Undergrad GPA: 3.73/4, magna cum laude with distinction in major for senior thesis research.

GRE: 800Q 640V 5.5AWA

Math Courses: Calc II-III (A,B+), Linear Algebra (Pass), Statistics (A), Mathematical Structures (A-), Real Analysis (B, taken as a non-degree student at a local school this Fall)

Econ Courses: Principles Micro/Macro (A-,A), Intermediate Micro (A) Intermediate Macro (B), Econometrics (B+), pre-thesis seminar (A-), Ag. & Food Econ. (A), Development Econ. (B+), Econ. of Inequality (A), Econ. of Water Policy (B+), British Econ. history (B+)

Other Courses: A pass/fail seminar on game theory, a Poli. Sci. course on agent-based computer modeling (A)

Letters of Recommendation: 3 ECON professors (LAC profs but with Chicago/Stanford Ph.Ds), including my thesis adviser who has previously stated that my thesis was one of the best he's ever advised. Where possible, 1 VP at my Econ. consulting firm with whom I've worked extensively on econometric analyses.

Research Experience: ~3 years as an RA in a major Econ. consulting firm; I specialize in statistical and econometric analysis within my office.

Awards: Thesis award from state Economics association, thesis presentation award from state science association, college fellowship for (non-research) work in development related to microfinance.

Research Interests: Development, environmental/resource economics, urban economics, general applied micro.

SOP: Well-written but fairly standard; mentioned specifically my interest in development and applied micro fields.

Other Concerns: Didn't anticipate the B in analysis and received it after I had submitted applications; I don't think I have enough additional math coursework to make up for exercising a pass/fail option in linear algebra way back when.

RESULTS:

Acceptances: Minnesota ARE ($$)

Rejections: Berkeley, Columbia, Harvard, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, MIT, NWU, Penn, Princeton, Stanford, Yale

Pending: Chicago, Cornell

What would you have done differently? Applied to Berkeley ARE and not Berkeley ECON when they made me pick just one; applied to more schools in the 20-30 range and not limited myself by the fact that I applied to 15 programs; discounted the advice of my former professors w.r.t. how far my school's reputation would get me; learned of and read the TestMagic forum earlier in the process.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. econ, B.A. math, large state university, EconPhD top 60

Undergrad GPA: 3.9/4.0

GRE: 800Q, 650V, 4.5AWA

Math Courses: Calc III (A+), Linear algebra (A+), Differential equations I, II (A-, A), Introductory probability theory (A, fall), Math modeling (A, fall)

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Optimization theory (A-, fall), Econometrics II (spring)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): All of them, including two econometrics courses and game theory; A- in intermediate microeconomics, A's otherwise

Other Courses: Spanish minor

Letters of Recommendation: Four economics professors -- nobody famous, but I had collaborated on research projects (that I had initiated) with three of them

Research Experience: Two working papers co-authored with faculty

Teaching Experience: Teaching assistant for introductory microeconomics, spring

Research Interests: Growth and development, specifically microeconomic development

SOP: Used a standard template for all statements but tailored last couple paragraphs to specific program, mentioning examples of faculty research I was interested in (but did not mention any faculty by name)

Concerns: No real analysis, but optimization theory provided a good crash course

Applying to: Maryland, Brown, MIT, Harvard, Yale, UCSD, Berkeley, Minnesota, Michigan, NYU, Boston, Columbia, LSE (M.Sc.)

RESULTS:

Acceptances: Yale (with funding), Michigan (no first-year funding), Boston (with funding), UCSD (with funding)

Waitlists: Minnesota

Rejections: Harvard, MIT, Berkeley, Columbia, Maryland, Brown, NYU

Withdrawn: LSE

If I had discovered this forum sooner, I probably would have taken more proof-based math courses, which most likely would have boosted my chances at top top schools. However, I think research experience, letters of recommendation from faculty involved in that research and a good "fit" (in terms of my research interests) -- factors that are often overlooked, including by myself -- helped my chances at several schools. Good luck, everyone.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top-5

Undergrad GPA: 3.7

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: Q800, V670, A4.5

Math Courses: Real Analysis, Optimization (As)

Econ Courses: Typical undergrad courses, intro+field courses

Letters of Recommendation: 3 good ones

Research Experience: 1 year RA (+2 summers as an undergrad)

Teaching Experience: Some tutoring

Research Interests: Mostly applied micro

SOP: Must have been good

Other:

RESULTS:

Acceptances: UChicago (waiting to hear about funding), UMaryland (18k), Penn State (25k)

Waitlists: Wharton AE

Rejections: MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, Brown

Total Score: 10-1-3

Pending: None

I really didn't take advantage of my undergrad school as I should have. I should have started RAing earlier, and I should have taken graduate-level courses as an undergrad, instead of being a chicken. Also, I made some bad thesis-related choices hehe

However, since last year's admission cycle, I did everything that I could to improve my profile, and ended up working with some great people. I learned a lot- perhaps more than what I'm going to learn in grad school.

The only significant econ-phd-related mistake I made was to apply to all top-10 schools and almost none of the schools between 10 and 20 (except for UMaryland). I rejected most of the schools in that range based on location preferences. Since my profile was not clear-cut top10, I should have been more careful.

Anyway, I'm glad I made it!!!!!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. Econ/Math from U of Oregon

Undergrad GPA: 3.07/4

Type of Grad: M.A. Econ

Grad GPA: 3.8/4

GRE: 760Q, 610V, 4.5AWA

Math Courses: Multivariable Calc (x2), Linear Algebra (x2), Differential Eqns, Statistics (x3), Real Analysis

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Micro (A), Macro (B+), Econometrics (B+,B,A-) Game Theory(A), Time Series(B+), IO(Winter), Monetary (Winter)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Just about every one offered, mostly As

Other Courses: 2 finances classes

Letters of Recommendation: 3 econ professors (MIT, Chicago, Wisconsin), should be pretty solid

Research Experience: None to speak of outside of term papers

Teaching Experience: None, though I did grade for math and econ

Research Interests: Financial/Monetary Econometrics, IO and Public Policy

SOP: Not too long, but fairly good I think

Concerns: Bad undergrad GPA, which is when I took all my math. Low Q on GRE. Lack of teaching/research may have hurt my chances of getting $

Other: This whole application process was fairly miserable, I'm glad I never have to do it again

RESULTS:

Acceptances: UW-Seattle ($0), UC Riverside ($$)

Rejections: UC Davis, U Arizona, Arizona St

What would you have done differently? Besides work much harder as an undergrad? Maybe take more math (topology and such), and definitely retake the GRE. Also, my little piece of advice, ask for LoRs with plenty of time before the deadline! Having to bug your recommenders every day to make sure they submit them on time is no fun, and a bit nerve-racking

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. in econ. from UQÀM

Undergrad GPA: 4.20/4.30

GRE: n/a

Math Courses: Calculus I (A), Calculus II (n/a), Probability (n/a), Analysis I (n/a), programming courses (A+), Math for economist 1-2-3 (3x A+)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Macro 1-2-3 (A-,A+, A+), Micro 1-2-3 (3x A+), Intro. Econometrics (A+), etc...

Letters of Recommendation: 2 econ. prof. (Stanford, UPenn)

Research Experience: some brief RA experience

Teaching Experience: none

Research Interests: Monetary, Macro.

Concerns: Just a few math courses...Don't have a plan B if I'm not in at Queen's

RESULTS:

Acceptances: Queen's MA.

Rejections: None

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Ivy League, top 10 econ program. BA in Math with minor in Actuarial Science.

Undergrad GPA: 3.77/4

GRE: 800Q, 710V, 5.5AW.

Math and Stats: The whole gamut-- Calc I-III, PDE, Complex analysis, algebra, real analysis, probability statistics, multivariate regressions, time series, other stat courses. Mostly As, but a few B+s in the statistics courses.

Econ: Intro Micro (A+), Intro Macro (B)

Other Courses: Also graduated with departmental honors in English Lit.

Research Experience: 2 summers of applied statistics work for the Pathology department at a high ranking medical school. I should mention my honors thesis in English as well even though it obviously isn't directly applicable.

Letters of Recommendation: Didn't know anyone in the econ dept and I spent 3 years out of school before deciding to go back. So I went with the 3 people who knew me best: my English thesis advisor, my manager from the actuarial consulting firm I worked for, and the project leader for the Pathology research I worked on. I would expect that all their letters were strong recommendations.

Teaching Experience: none

Research Interests: trade, growth.

SOP: passionate, articulate, and thoughtful.

Other: I intentionally limited myself to schools within commuter distance of Philadelphia because that's where my family and my gf are. Considering that limitation I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The funny thing is I could have been a top 10 admit out of school for PhD programs in English. I have to wonder if the adcoms who actually looked closely at my file didn't stop to check if it had been sent to the wrong department.

Results:

Accepted: Drexel ($$$+), University of Delaware ($$)

Rejected: Princeton, Upenn

What I would have done differently:

If I spent some more time on this forum beforehand I would have known that my reaches were foregone conclusions. Also, I obviously could have taken considerably more advantage of my proximity to a top-tier econ department when I was in college. Still, I think I'm going to be very happy at Drexel. They are strong in trade, their funding is very generous, and their grad students get a lot of individual attention. Most importantly the location is ideal for me.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA Econ (2006), large state university, poorly ranked economics department

Undergrad GPA: 3.89

Type of Grad: A few courses during my BA

Grad GPA: 4.0

GRE: 750/570/4.5 (2006)

Math Courses: Calc 1 (A), Calc 2 (B+), Matrices and Linear Equations (A), Statistical Methods (A), Foundations of Quant Econ Analysis (graduate level math/econ course intended as a refresher for incoming PhD students) (A+)

Econ Courses: Micro Prin & Inter, Macro Prin & Inter, Econometrics, Independent Study x 2, Comparative Economic Systems, Recent Economic Thought (i.e. History of Academic Economics), Transformation of Central and Eastern European Countries, Privatization and Foreign Capital (B), Globalization - Social and Economic Aspects (B), Games and Decisions (B), Senior Seminar on Globalization and Trade, Political Economy I (graduate level) [Note: all A's except where noted, the 3 B's were received while studying abroad if that's worth anything].

Other Courses: Java Programming, Electrical Engineering courses for one year (A's, if these helpfully display math/computer competency...?)

Letters of Recommendation: PhDs from MIT, Cambridge, and Harvard. The first was my advisor in University, the latter two colleagues on a research project during 2007/2008 (see below).

Research Experience: Working at a European consultancy (China office) for about 18 months in 2007/2008, as a project manager for government funded economic development/trade research projects dealing with China. The job had me doing about 50% business related tasks, 50% working with our PhD economists who did the modeling/analysis in a RA type of capacity.

Teaching Experience: ~1 year teaching English in China between my BA and the research listed above.

Research Interests: International trade, economic development in Asia (China/ASEAN), political economy in China

SOP: Talked about my strong interest in being involved in trade policy, emphasized my research experience and particular interest in each respective department (faculty, papers, topics, etc), and provided a few interesting research questions which I had brushed upon with previously and would like to continue working on as examples. Maybe a bit weak, should have sought more advice here.

Other: I decided to apply late last fall as my job was expressing an interest in fast tracking me along a management path and I knew research was more my goal. I knew my math was deficient and sought the advice of my LORs, whom all strongly encouraged me to apply to fewer, higher ranked schools with the explanation that my research experience should outweigh my deficiency in math and hiatus from formal education. This cut my plans of applying to 6-10 schools with a range of competitiveness to only 4 reach schools. Knew my GRE Q score was very low but was unable to retake once I had decided to "go for it" as China only has several mass-test dates per year and the next one wouldn't be available in time for that round of applications (definitely was not interested in the $1500+ option of flying home for a weekend to take the GRE :sick:)

RESULTS:

Acceptances: -

Waitlists: -

Rejections: Harvard, NYU, Columbia, Princeton

Pending: -

I knew my math was deficient (both coursework and GRE) and a likely sticking point, but went for it due to encouragement from LORs. In the next 8-9 months I guess my goal is to rectify that situation as best as possible, although my circumstances make that a bit more complicated (will cover that and ask some questions in another thread).

Also, I should have included a few 'safer' options, as only top 10/20 doesn't seem realistic given my profile now that I've read a bit on TM over the past few weeks. More broadly, should have taken more math as an undergrad and perhaps considered transferring schools once I switched majors (my school was pretty good for engineering) - although my scholarship there would have made any transfer unlikely.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: University of California, BA Econ & Applied Math, French Minor

Undergrad GPA: 3.85

Type of Grad: micro

Grad GPA: 4.0

GRE: 800/700/6.0

Math Courses: Multi-var Calc, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Numerical Analysis, Probability

Econ Courses: Grad Micro, Intermediate Micro and Macro, Metrics, Applied Metrics, Corporate Finance, Game Theory, Contract Theory, Development

Other Courses: a lot of French

Letters of Recommendation: 3 letters, one of which was from a fecund researcher that I've worked with for two years. The other two are from my grad micro professor and my undergrad development professor; the former barely knows me, the latter I've spoken to about my research ideas.

Research Experience: Two years undergrad RA. Thesis (?)

Teaching Experience: Does dance count? =P

Research Interests: Development, Applied Micro

SOP: I don't think it was that special. In any case, it probably didn't carry much weight.

Other:

RESULTS:

Acceptances: UCLA, Yale, Berkeley, Brown

Waitlists: U Penn

Rejections: MIT, Columbia, Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, Northwestern, NYU

I would have definitely submitted a better-prepared application for the NSF, since funding is kind of an issue for me. I found out about the fellowship a week before the deadline and decided to apply anyway. That said, I wouldn't have done much else differently, since I'm really ecstatic about my acceptances! :-)

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: top liberal arts school

Undergrad GPA: 3.6

Type of Grad: Computational Mathematics in Russia (3 years ending with a master's-like degree)

Grad GPA: 4.4 out of 5

GRE: 790Q/ 800V

Math Courses: undergrad- Linear Algebra, Multivar; Russia- lots

Econ Courses: Intermediate Macro, Micro, seminars in IO, development, international

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: 2 econ profs and my supervisor from a U.N sustainable development education project

Research Experience: none

Teaching Experience: course material preparation

Research Interests: agricultural development, environmental economics

SOP: talked a lot about experiences in Russia

Other:

RESULTS:

Acceptances: UC-Berkeley ARE ($)

Waitlists:

Rejections: UMD ARE

Pending:

What would you have done differently? Possibly applied to more schools. I was totally focused on UMD and just threw in Berkeley on everyone's advice even though I thought it would be a reach and it seemed too far away, but now I'm really excited to be going there.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA Econ and Math, MIT

Undergrad GPA: 4.7/5.0 (equivalent to 3.7)

GRE: 800Q/740V/5.5W

Math Courses: Calc 1&2, Linear Algebra, Probability, Statistics, Real Analysis, Intro to Discrete Math, Modern Algebra, Intro to Stochastic Modeling (Grad course). About half As and half Bs, with more As in the later years.

Econ Courses: Intro and Intermediate Micro and Macro, Econometrics, Education, Development, Behavioral, Public Policy, Environmental, Econ research class. Mostly As.

Other Courses: Chinese

Letters of Recommendation: 3 profs with PhDs from MIT. The first was my development teacher and I RA'd for her a couple of semesters. I worked for the second two doing field research for 2 years after graduating.

Research Experience: Working at a econ research NGO for 2 years after college. RA for a bit in college.

Teaching Experience: Tutoring probability course in university, and general tutoring stuff.

Research Interests: Development, Behavioral, applied micro

SOP: My experiences and my interests. Why I like econ.

Other:

RESULTS:

Acceptances: UCSD, UCLA, UC Davis ARE, Northwestern, Chicago, Duke, USC, Berkeley, Harvard, Stanford

Waitlists: nope

Rejections: MIT, Columbia, Brown

My results were great, I think mostly because of my LORs so I think my after-college job really saved me. If I had to do it again, I would get As in key courses (mostly math) and do an economics thesis, but this is just theoretical since it wasn't necessary.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: University of Minnesota - TC

Undergrad GPA: 3.7ish

GRE: 800Q, 670V, 4.5 writing

Math Courses: multivariable calc, linear algebra, dif eq, advanced calc, sequences, series, and foundations, stats (grad level)

Econ Courses: game theory, mathecon, micro theory (grad level), econometrics, and a bunch of other undergrad econ courses

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: 3 profs from U of M (from math, econ, and apec)

Research Experience: term papers and senior thesis

Teaching Experience: tutoring

Research Interests: as of now, game theory, behavioral econ, development, and possibly IO

SOP: ok - i suppose

Other:

RESULTS:

Acceptances: BU, PSU, UArizona, UC Irvine, U of M (apec)

Waitlists: U of M (econ)

Rejections: MANY...

Pending: Cornell, Queens, UToronto, and Caltech

What would you have done differently? Nothing - except for maybe get more research experience as an undergrad

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B. Tech. from IIT Kanpur (Best Techno-Managerial school in India)

Undergrad GPA: 3.0/4

Type of Grad: MBA also from IIT Kanpur

Grad GPA: 3.2/4

GRE: 800Q, 660V, 4.0AWA

Math Courses: All quantitative courses for Electrical Engineering (Communication Systems specialization). That also means related courses on probability, calculus and Linear Algebra

Econ Courses (MBA-level): Micro, Macro and International business economics

Other Courses: 4 Sociology courses (during undergrad). 1 Development Economics course (during MBA)

Letters of Recommendation: 1 econ Prof (IIT Kanpur), 2 other Prof (IIT Kanpur)

Research Experience: 1 research case study was done for UNICEF while I was UN intern for 3 months in India itself. This was published for internal UN circulation. I have been working on development field for 3 years with small IIT Kanpur reports being published internally.

Research Interests: Development Economics, Labor Economics and Public Policy

Results

Will be attending: Penn State ($$, Economics)

Rejections: Wharton (Applied Economics), UCLA (Economics), Columbia GSB (Economics), Cornell (Applied Economics)

Pending: CMU Tepper (Econ and Public Policy), ERIM (Labor Econ)

Nothing!!! I am happy that I am finally going to do research in Economics which is more important than many other parameters we try to judge our acceptances and rejections on.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A Economics, Yale

Undergrad GPA: 3.20

Type of Grad: Masters of Economics, ANU

Grad GPA: 73/100 (Upper Second Class or 2.1 as they call it in UK)

GRE: 800Q/660V/6A

Math Courses: Multi Variable Calc, Linear Algebra, Probablity and statistics, Optimisation, Math for Economists 1 and 2 (Masters)

Econ Courses: Masters Micro, Macro, Applied Econometrics, Econometric Techniques, Quantitative International Economics, Development Economics (all masters) plus a bunch of courses in undergrad.

Other Courses: Nothing relevant

Letters of Recommendation: One Professor (really famous), one lecturer, and an Associate Professor.

Research Experience: Masters Thesis

Teaching Experience: Teaching introductory economics at a Management Sciences Department in Pakistan

Research Interests: Trade and Development

SOP: Ok. Tried to explain my terrible undergraduate record and point out the improvement since. Didn't really work

Other:

RESULTS:

Acceptances: ANU (already attending)

Waitlists:

Rejections: U Chicago, Tepper School of Business, Pen State, Oxford, Brown, UCSD

Pending: Boston, UBC

What would you have done differantly? Performed much better in my undergrad obviously. And applied to much lower ranked schools. Also should have been more careful about whom to ask for LORs.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Bachelors at an unranked non-PhD state school

Undergrad GPA: 3.4

GRE: 800 Q, 560 V, 4.0 AWA

Math Courses: Calc 1 and 2

Econ Courses: All the prerequisites, Environ. Econ, Econometrics 1 and 2, Law and Econ, Telecom Econ, and a bunch of others

Other Courses: Computer Programming in C++, Physics

Letters of Recommendation: Three letters from instructors at unranked state school

Research Experience: None

Teaching Experience: Some tutoring experience

Research Interests: Public econ, environ. econ, tech. econ

SOP: Pretty standard SOP talking about why I want to pursue econ grad school, details on why I am a good candidate, and details on why I like the particular school.

Other:

RESULTS:

Acceptances: NIU, U. of Delaware, UNM, Colorado State, Nevada-Reno, IUPUI, and Illinois State

Rejections: USF and Oregon

Pending: none

What would you have done differently? I would have taken more math classes as an undergrad. I'm planning on going for a masters and picking up some missing math classes before applying to PhD programs.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A (Hons.) Economics, Math Minor with Distinction, Queen's University

Undergrad GPA: Overall: 3.75/4.0, Econ: 4.0/4.0, Math: 3.65/4.0

Type of Grad: M.A Economics, Queen's University

Grad GPA: 3.9/4.0

GRE: 790Q 530V 5.5AWA

Math Courses: Calculus I-III (A+/A+/B), Linear Algebra (B), Differential Equations (B), Probability ©, Abstract Algebra (B), Statistics (A+), Analysis I & II (B+/B), Stochastic Models in Operations Research (A+)

Econ Courses (MA/PhD-level): Micro (A-), Metrics (A), Money and the Macroeconomy (A), Mathematical Economics (A+), Finance Theory (A+) Continuous-Time Finance (A+), Risk Management (Audit), Cost-Benefit Analysis (A)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Micro (A), Macro (A+), Metrics I & II (A/B+), Finance (A+), History (B+), Corporate Finance (A),

Letters of Recommendation: 1 ANU, 1 JHU, 1 Harvard, 1 BU

Research Experience: R.A for three semesters. Co-authoured paper published in REE, 2008. Working paper with same author

Teaching Experience: UG Finance (fall), Tutor for department in mathematics for economists, Micro and stats.

Research Interests: Financial Economics, Micro, Credit

SOP: Working on it all summer

RESULTS:

Attending: University of Toronto ($$$)

Acceptances: Queen's University ($$), BU (no $)

Rejections: Chicago, NWU, Yale, Columbia, NYU, Rochester, Michigan, Minnesota

Pending: Cornell (will withdraw)

What would you have done differently? The only things I could have done differently would have been to start liking math before second year, and to know economics was the thing for me before second year. So really, outside of changing the fabric of my very being earlier in life, all the decisions on the equilibrium path were correct. Very happy to be attending UToronto. Would I be a true Canuckonomist if I didn't do a Ph.D in Canada? I like to think not.

• Like 1

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. Economics: Management Science (Top 10 US Institution by IDEAS)

Undergrad GPA: Econ: 3.5/4, Highest Distinction; Cumulative: 3.14

GRE: 800Q, 550V, 4.5W

Math Courses (undergrad): Calc II (B-), Calc III (C+), Linear Alg (B-), Mathematical Reasoning (B)

Econ Courses (grad): Econometrics I (B), Micro I (B-)

Econ Courses (undergrad): Everything besides macro (A's and B's)

Other Courses: Bob Marley and History of Jamaican Culture, MMW 5

Letters of Recommendation: MIT, Stanford GSB, UCSD

Research Experience: Senior Thesis (A)

Teaching Experience: TA for one year (Intro. Micro/Macro)

Research Interests: Econometrics, Game Theory

SOP: Concise.

RESULTS:

Attending: Rochester

Acceptances: Rochester ($$)

Rejections: Penn State, JHU, Cal, Brown, BU

Stress out less. Maybe taken one or two more grad courses. Topology, just because it is interesting in itself.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. Economics, minor in History from a Latin American University

Undergrad GPA: 4.3/5.0, ranked 2nd in cohort.

Type of Grad: M.A. Economics, same Uni as undergrad

Grad GPA: 4.4/5.0, ranked 7th in cohort.

GRE: 790Q, 500V, 4.0 AWA. Second time.

Math Courses: Calculus I, II and multivariate (A, B+, A), linear algebra (A), Math for economics (A), Math statistics I and II (both As), Econometrics I and II (both As)

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Micro (A+), Macro (A), Econometrics (A), Growth theory (A), International Economics (A), etc. for M.A.

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Micro I, II and III (A, B+, A); Macro I, II and III (A, B, A+), Fiscal and Monetary theory, Public Economics... lots of them, lots of As.

Letters of Recommendation: one from a pre-tenured economics professor, one from the senior economist of a IFI, other from an economist of another IFI. One from a prof of a Public Policy School.

Research Experience: lots, almost 7 years between an Latin American think tank, now at IFI.

Teaching Experience: tutor of linear algebra and other econ courses, TA and later main instructor.

Research Interests: Applied Microeconomics, Health economics, Development, Labor

SOP: Done, pretty good

Concerns: some weak grades and econ and math courses (I was young and stupid then), and no formal, more advanced math.

Other: M.A. thesis published at local refereed journal, presented at an international conference.

RESULTS:

Attending: Maryland ($)

Acceptances: Maryland ($)

Rejections: Michigan, Duke, Michigan St, UT Austin, Johns Hopkins, U British Columbia, Brown.

Pending: BU

What would you have done differently? A lot. besides the obvious (more math, better grades, apply to more safeties), I should have applied earlier. Too much RAship (7 years!) probably hurt my application. I was extremely lucky to get a funded offer.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BSc Economics, University of Sussex

Undergrad GPA: ~3.9+

Type of Grad: MA Economics, UBC

Grad GPA: ~3.8+

GRE: 800Q, 720V, 4.5 AWA. Second time.

Math Courses: Not many, all (A's)

Econ Courses: A bunch, mostly (A's)

Letters of Recommendation: Will have been enthusiastic, although might not have the highest profile in the US.

Research Experience: fairly little, two years working in government, undergrad thesis.

Teaching Experience: TA for introductory courses.

Research Interests: Political Economy, Development (macro/institutions/policy), Trade, Economic History

SOP: Short, dull.

Concerns: Not much real math.

RESULTS:

Attending: LSE (MRes/PhD) ($$$)

Acceptances: LSE (MRes/PhD)

Withdrawals: Cambridge, Oxford, Cornell

Rejections: Columbia, Brown.

What would you have done differently? Not too much, LSE was one of my two target schools. Could possibly applied to more of the top ten, however given the funding and location offered there are only perhaps 5-6 schools that I might have taken ahead, and my chances at these were probably infintessimal. I think British undergrad certainly helped applications to British schools and probably hinders in the US.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BSc Philsophy, Politics and Economics (Economics major, Philsophy minor), UK top 5

Undergrad GPA: 1st class hons

Type of Grad: MA Economics, University of Toronto

Grad GPA: 4.0 (at the time of application)

GRE: 790Q/520V/6.0AWA (non-native)

Math Courses: Linear Algebra (1st), Analysis (1st)

Econ Courses: PhD Micro I (A), MA Econometrics (A+), MA Trade (A), usual undergraduate courses (A/1st)

Other Courses: Philosophy, Chinese

Letters of Recommendation: Three MA instructors

Research Experience: Nil

Teaching Experience: TA for Quantitative Methods / Math Stats

Research Interests: Labour (and perhaps empirical trade)

SOP: Nope.

Other: -

RESULTS:

Attending: University of Toronto

Acceptances: University of Toronto ($$$)

Waitlists: -

Rejections: -

Pending: -

What would you have done differently? Given geographical constraints, it was either this or getting a job, and overall I'm pretty happy about how things worked out. Despite the "admitee's curse", I don't feel underplaced: looking at Canuckonomist, I'm seriously overplaced.