Urch Forums

Master programs in UK: LSE (EME, Econ) vs Cambridge (Mphil option B)

Na-sha

Hi!

I've received offers for LSE's MSc in EME and MSc in Econ, and Cambridge's MPhil in Econ (Option B). My goal is to eventually do a PhD (preferably in the US, but wouldn't rule out a possibility of staying longer in the UK). I am not sure about my research field yet, but certainly not metrics. However, i heard that the EME has a better reputation, esp in the UK, for prepping students for PhD programs in any fields.

What do you think about their PhD placements of these programs? How likely is it to continue on a PhD at the same school? How does it look if you just pass without distinction? Would anyone prefer Oxford and UCL to these programs?

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi!

I've received offers for LSE's MSc in EME and MSc in Econ, and Cambridge's MPhil in Econ (Option B). My goal is to eventually do a PhD (preferably in the US, but wouldn't rule out a possibility of staying longer in the UK). I am not sure about my research field yet, but certainly not metrics. However, i heard that the EME has a better reputation, esp in the UK, for prepping students for PhD programs in any fields.

What do you think about their PhD placements of these programs? How likely is it to continue on a PhD at the same school? How does it look if you just pass without distinction? Would anyone prefer Oxford and UCL to these programs?

Thank you so much in advance!

I also believe that the LSE EME is the best choice.

Hi!

I've received offers for LSE's MSc in EME and MSc in Econ, and Cambridge's MPhil in Econ (Option B).

Hey nasha, when did you hear from Cambridge?

EME appears to have a very rigorous coursework. LSE has a very good name. I also hear the program has connections with MIT. The size of the program also appear small.

People like to hate on Cambridge's program, and usually rank it as one the worst of the best programs in the UK, but from hearing about it from asianeconomist it appears to be very good; the coursework is very difficult and the students are of course, very bright. The Cambridge, with is traditional campus, would be more student-friend, I would think.

I worry about the interaction between students and professors in all programs in the UK. I hear it is not like the US where the majority of the professors have an open door policy. I might be wrong though.

For me, if I where to go to the UK, I would go to Cambridge because it is cheaper (and college may give you additional funding) and provides the college campus atmosphere. Also, they have really awesome faculty in development.

Either way, you are in a great position!