Urch Forums

Essential Math Books For Econ PhD Student Library

YoungEconomist

I imagine during the first year a student will sometimes need to consult a math book while reading an econ textbook or doing a problem set. I was hoping the grad students on this forum would mention which math books have been the most helpful for them during the first year. So, what is a good math text library for econ students to have?

The Basics

Real Analysis with Economic Applications by Efe Ok

Baby Rudin

A good stats book

Linear Algebra Done Wrong by Axler or Linear Algebra by Friedrich, Insel and Spence

More Advanced

Topology by Munkres

Real Analysis (Measure Theory) by Royden (Only the standard measure stuff is important)

Probability and Measure by Billingsley or Course in Prob. Theory by Chung

Introductory Functional Analysis by Kreyzig (for some advanced stuff!)

LOL! :D

I actually haven't seen that movie yet, although I truly want to since it's supposed to be trippy and written by a mathematician.

Lewis Carroll... much more than a mathematician! He wrote the book though, they didn't really have movies back then.

I actually haven't consulted a single math book this year, with one exception: I looked up the finite intersection property in Rudin at some point.

I don't know how useful a "math library" would be.. The appendices in MWG et al + the first couple of chapters of Stokey-Lucas should more or less do the trick.

I actually haven't consulted a single math book this year, with one exception: I looked up the finite intersection property in Rudin at some point.

I don't know how useful a "math library" would be.. The appendices in MWG et al + the first couple of chapters of Stokey-Lucas should more or less do the trick.

haha, I would put that down to the way your notes are written :P there is sufficient math in it I'd reckon

How is this for a topology resource? Its free!

http://bobostrategy.com/TopologyAndTheLanguageOfMathematics-ChrisCunliffe.pdf

I found it in a facebook advertisement, of all places. I can't find any reviews in the obvious places, never took topology, kinda skimped over it in advanced calc so I don't know if this is legit or not. Its pretty bare bones but thats the point I think. Anyone with opinions?

How is this for a topology resource? Its free!

http://bobostrategy.com/TopologyAndTheLanguageOfMathematics-ChrisCunliffe.pdf

I found it in a facebook advertisement, of all places. I can't find any reviews in the obvious places, never took topology, kinda skimped over it in advanced calc so I don't know if this is legit or not. Its pretty bare bones but thats the point I think. Anyone with opinions?

seems a little light for a full first course in point-set topology. Munkres is THE text for a first course. but for almost all Econ PhD's, Baby Rudin has all of the topology they will ever need to know.

• 1 year later...
Economists Mathematical Manual by Berck and Sydsaeter

The following two books are listed as the texts used during the math camp for my program this fall:

Essential Mathematics for Economic Analysis - Sydsaeter,K. and Hammond, P.

Further Mathematics for Economic Analysis - Sydsaeter,K. and Hammond, P.

Anyone have an idea where these fall in difficulty relative to other books often mentioned here (e.g. Chiang

Thanks for any insights.

The following two books are listed as the texts used during the math camp for my program this fall:

Essential Mathematics for Economic Analysis - Sydsaeter,K. and Hammond, P.

Further Mathematics for Economic Analysis - Sydsaeter,K. and Hammond, P.

Anyone have an idea where these fall in difficulty relative to other books often mentioned here (e.g. Chiang

Thanks for any insights.

EMEA is about the same level as Chiang. FMEA is more advanced.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but there's a pretty big jump in terms of sophistication between EMEA and FMEA.

• Like 1

EMEA is about the same level as Chiang. FMEA is more advanced.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but there's a pretty big jump in terms of sophistication between EMEA and FMEA.

There is a pretty big jump. My prof in mathematical economics used both books for our math econ class (because some linear algebra and optimization topics that were part of the class syllabus were in FMEA), and some of us had difficulty with reading the proofs in FMEA. It was a good thing that I took a proof writing class at about the same time as my math econ class. It made things easier.

Sundaram's A First Course in Optimization is also a good reference to have. It's self-contained and it covers optimization thoroughly.

Edited by philecon
unclear