Urch Forums

Best Msc Economics program in the UK

economics12345

Hello. I am a British citizen wanting to eventually travel to the US to study a Phd in Economics there. I am in the process of completing a postgraduate diploma in Economics at the University of Essex. So far it looks like I will pass with a distinction. I am wondering apart from the obvious schools (London School Economics, UCL, Oxbridge, Warwick) which other schools in the UK offer very good msc economics programs? thanks.

A prof from the UK gave me this list (I believe it is in order of his ranking):

UCL, LSE, Oxford, LBS, Warwick, Essex, Southampton

(Cambridge is not on the list, he does not think very highly of it)

this must be a joke! though partially true, professors at my uni would put it this way LSE, Oxford, (UCL, Warwick, Cambridge) together, essex, york/nottingham (I go to Warwick for my undergrad, choosing between Oxford and Cambridge for the MPhil (LSE is too expensive!))

My 2 cents:

With econ background (and some good LOR in place):

LSE EME, Ox MPhil, LSE MSc, UCL MSc, Cam MPhil, Warwick MSc

Without those things:

Ox MPhil, UCL MSc, Cam MPhil, LSE EME, LSE MSc, Warwick MSc

The first list is a prestige list. The second list favours programs where the teaching is better and there is greater interaction with faculty for the the purpose of getting recommendations (in other words you can get something concrete out of the program).

• 1 year later...

I am Indian Undergraduate in Economics. I have following offers from UK:

1). MSc. Econometrics and economics, Essex

2). MSc. Econometrics and economics, Southampton

3). MSc. Econometrics and economics, Bristol

4). Waiting to hear from warwick (expecting positive result)

Which one of these courses would help me land in a good econ school in US (top 20)? Please suggest.

Brief Profile: First class Undergrad. One academic publication in international economics journal. Working as RA with Centre for Microfinance which works in collaboration with J-PAL at MIT in India (running most of jpal’s impact evaluation in India). I would like to work for J-PAL for 1-2 years after graduation from one of above options I have.

Please suggest which of these courses would be most appropriate for a PhD in Econ at a US school.

Hello. I am a British citizen wanting to eventually travel to the US to study a Phd in Economics there. I am in the process of completing a postgraduate diploma in Economics at the University of Essex. So far it looks like I will pass with a distinction. I am wondering apart from the obvious schools (London School Economics, UCL, Oxbridge, Warwick) which other schools in the UK offer very good msc economics programs? thanks.

Edinburgh and Manchester!!!

I am Indian Undergraduate in Economics. I have following offers from UK:

1). MSc. Econometrics and economics, Essex

2). MSc. Econometrics and economics, Southampton

3). MSc. Econometrics and economics, Bristol

4). Waiting to hear from warwick (expecting positive result)

Which one of these courses would help me land in a good econ school in US (top 20)? Please suggest.

Brief Profile: First class Undergrad. One academic publication in international economics journal. Working as RA with Centre for Microfinance which works in collaboration with J-PAL at MIT in India (running most of jpal’s impact evaluation in India). I would like to work for J-PAL for 1-2 years after graduation from one of above options I have.

Please suggest which of these courses would be most appropriate for a PhD in Econ at a US school.

Why not UCL?!

Dear Matsya and Gecko...Thank you for your views. I find essex course to be much more quantitative and specially it includes courses on conducting field experiments which is my area of interest.

Do you think if i go to essex i would be able to make it to a good PhD in US with some LOR from essex and few from professors with whom i work in field experiemnts? This is the question which is making me confused, shall i go with a program which is more quantitative and gives me option to read courses to develop skills for field experiemnts or shall i choose one which has good reputation??

Warwick doesn't give out much info on electives that can be taken during the Msc (on it website i.e) and if I remember correctly, Essex had given out detailed info on the optional modules that can be taken. So, it is possible that Warwick may too be offering those courses along with Math/Stats electives. I guess the only way to find out is by emailing the department?

I did my undergrad and masters in the UK, and let me tell you that other than LSE, UCL and Oxbridge, potentially maybe Warwick too, you never really hear about anything else. That is for masters or PhD, it's quite different for undergrad.