Urch Forums

Can a kid from an average state school make it into the top 5?

Mr_Jack_Box

Ok, so the school (my school) is in the top 50, but barely.

GPA: 3.85

Math GPA: 4.00 (...and I'm almost done)

Econ GPA: 3.94

I've taken nearly all the math that I can take short of grad courses, including two semesters of analysis.

GRE: 800Q, 740V, 6.0 AWA

My LORs will be very good and from professors w/ PhDs from top ten schools. They're relatively well-published considering the program.

I know it's possible. But, how likely is it?

I think it may be tough, depending on if your professors have good connections with people at the top 5, or if you have made a very good impression on them (best student in a few years or something).

On the other hand the good news is that think about why you want a PhD, and most likely you will find that there are many top-20 programs which will help you meet your goals.

I think that if your LOR are good and one of them very enthusiastic you have a shot. I would not put all your eggs in that basket though. It seems (by looking at the CV's of top 5 depts students) that they are only accepting from other ivies and some good international schools. What about research, you might want to get some?

As said there is good research outside of the top 5, and you look like someone that other schools in the top 15 would be willing to take a chance on. so definitely apply to all the top 10, probably all the top 20 would be wise coming from a state school (not berkeley!)

ps. enthusiastic=best student in 15 years, the last student I had that was this good went to a top 5 phd and is doing good research

I've taken nearly all the math that I can take short of grad courses, including two semesters of analysis.

My LORs will be very good and from professors w/ PhDs from top ten schools. They're relatively well-published considering the program.

I have a very, very similar profile to yours, and I was shut out of the top 10-15. I applied to 7 schools in that range and was rejected by all of them. I was waitlisted at Minnesota, and that is the highest-ranked school that didn't reject me. A guy from my undergrad took the entire graduate math sequence, and his best admit was U Penn (which is probably not a top 10).

Of course, that's just one anecdote, and i don't mean to crush your dreams. You didn't mention anything about research experience, and that could make a big difference.

Did you specifically select classes/professors in order to inflate GPA? If so, that can stick out like a sore thumb, and in the time you have left you may want to prove your mettle with some grad math or econ classes (if you can fit them in!). Good luck!

you

ur GPA and GRE scores seems steller. But it depends on what type of class you took in your school. If you have taken harder classes like real analysis, probabillity and stat theory, and graduate econ classes...ur definitely a top 5 candidate. It also depends on LOR and researach thou