Urch Forums

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I have read all the FAQs and...

onmiverse

I was wondering if it is a good idea to take the GRE Math and the GMAT to get into Grad school for Economics. I know the standard GRE is a requirement and having excellent scores is a must. I also know that for some classes and courses the GMAT is required (because of the association of business school with econ) although I don't know if this depends upon the school requierements I am applying for. At the moment I am sophomore and I am really determined to get at accepted really good school. So asides the good grades and letters of recommendation, my question would be: Should I take the Math GRE and the GMAT? Would it look more impressive even if it is not required?

Thank you for reading this....

I was wondering if it is a good idea to take the GRE Math and the GMAT to get into Grad school for Economics. I know the standard GRE is a requirement and having excellent scores is a must. I also know that for some classes and courses the GMAT is required (because of the association of business school with econ) although I don't know if this depends upon the school requierements I am applying for. At the moment I am sophomore and I am really determined to get at accepted really good school. So asides the good grades and letters of recommendation, my question would be: Should I take the Math GRE and the GMAT? Would it look more impressive even if it is not required?

Thank you for reading this....

There is no Econ PhD program that I know of that cares about the GMAT... even the ones in business schools say that they prefer GRE or even require GRE. Look at the websites for Stanford GSB (EAP & PE) or Northwestern Kellogg (MEcS). They require the GRE. The GMAT will not help you. I doubt the Math GRE would help much... you'd be better off taking another course.

GMAT: No.

Math GRE: I have come to understand that doing well on this is not a trivial matter (you are competing with math freaks worldwide), and in any case, what will matter are all the good grades you would have got in advanced math courses along the way of getting good enough to kill the Math GRE -- these will ultimately send the same signal.

The quantitative section of the GRE on the other hand doesn't send the same signal as your Math courses (math majors often don't ace it) because it tests your ability to think carefully and reason -- with very basic tools -- rather than testing any sort of real knowledge. So in this case it's (very arguably I might add) not a substitute for math courses, and it's therefore still required.

In conclusion, these are minor things, and all the other aspects of your application will have far more influence on whether or not you get admitted.