Urch Forums

Which is more worthy? Direct Ph.D program or MA program+Ph.D program

mike_banana

It is known to me that enrolling in a direct Ph.D program take students average five years.While attending a MA program in Econ is about 1-2 years, i guess.(If i'm wrong, correct me).

So after holding a Master degree in one univ, applying to another univ, a more well-esteemed Ph.D program in Econ, maybe top10, how many years might it be taken? still 5 years? or 5 minus 1-2(Master program years)?

I am an international student, so not very clear about this.

Appreciate every thought of my question, thank you guys.:tup:

"everything, everything is still a blur...":D

I've been trying to find that out also. From what I gathered, generally - you will not be able to cut down time on the programme as you still have to take the core and elective courses and do all the requirements. However, you may have a better idea on what you want to do in terms of research, so it could cut down time on that.

I've been trying to find that out also. From what I gathered, generally - you will not be able to cut down time on the programme as you still have to take the core and elective courses and do all the requirements. However, you may have a better idea on what you want to do in terms of research, so it could cut down time on that.

so you mean a MA then Ph.D may take more years than a Ph.D program

wow, my youth~~~:hmm:

thank you

Some schools such as Stanford say they'll let you take the comprehensive exams for metrics and theory to cut a year or two off the PhD program. They won't give you unit credit, though. As far as I know, most schools don't let you transfer work from other programs.

Stanford[clap]

It is known to me that enrolling in a direct Ph.D program take students average five years.While attending a MA program in Econ is about 1-2 years, i guess.(If i'm wrong, correct me).

So after holding a Master degree in one univ, applying to another univ, a more well-esteemed Ph.D program in Econ, maybe top10, how many years might it be taken? still 5 years? or 5 minus 1-2(Master program years)?

I am an international student, so not very clear about this.

Appreciate every thought of my question, thank you guys.:tup:

"everything, everything is still a blur...":D

getting ma is not help to reduce your time in US. but UK based countries like Auss or UK u can start PHD directly. but in US ,even if you have masters you have to take thier coursework before starting your PHD thesis..

If going to the US:

In my understanding an MA is not generally as highly regarded or respected as a PhD in academia or in the "real world." Further, in achieving an MA then moving to a different PhD program one has to take the PhD coursework, which is generally equivalent to the first few years of MA coursework. However, many times an MA is "given along the way" in a direct PhD program. There may be a couple of extra requirements (a paper, or an extra test after second year), but the MA (or MS, depending on the program) is then given.

It varies from program to program, but that is the idea behind things.

first, thanks for your notice. Really helps a lot.

Actually , i am thinking about Boston U MA program in Econ. It is said on web site, i quote "Master of Arts in Economics (M.A.) This is a two semester M.A. program (September-June) ...blablabla..." Is it normal that MA program last this short? It totally surprise me.Tufts U MA program lasts 2 years, NYU lasts 2 years too, I guess. Such a short time, one year, excites me huge doubts on quality of that.

However, on the other page, I quote "Time Requirement(MA in Econ) All courses and examinations must be completed within three years of the original registration in the Graduate School at Boston University" What is this "three years" statement about? does it contradict the "a two semester MA program" statement?

May I ask usually people take how many years to finish a MA program in Econ? since I guess many of you got an MA degree already, really cool!!!

first, thanks for your notice. Really helps a lot.

Actually , i am thinking about Boston U MA program in Econ. It is said on web site, i quote "Master of Arts in Economics (M.A.) This is a two semester M.A. program (September-June) ...blablabla..." Is it normal that MA program last this short? It totally surprise me.Tufts U MA program lasts 2 years, NYU lasts 2 years too, I guess. Such a short time, one year, excites me huge doubts on quality of that.

However, on the other page, I quote "Time Requirement(MA in Econ) All courses and examinations must be completed within three years of the original registration in the Graduate School at Boston University" What is this "three years" statement about? does it contradict the "a two semester MA program" statement?

May I ask usually people take how many years to finish a MA program in Econ? since I guess many of you got an MA degree already, really cool!!!

Not sure. Perhaps a 2 semester class load and 3 year thesis deadline?

MA programs vary in length. There are both 1 year and 2 year terminal masters programs. The 3 years time frame probably means they may have students who complete the program part time, instead of full time.

Most higher ranked programs will not let you transfer credit or take the prelims early. I have run into a couple from the 30-100 range that would have let me transfer credit and take the prelims in August. It depended on the school. You will have to read through each program requirement carefully.

Even with a MA, you will have to have outstanding "other" credentials to get into the top 10 program. Many students apply with an MA and obviously not all get accepted. While the MA can substantially help your application, if you do poorly, it will hurt your chances of getting accepted anywhere.

Good luck!

From what I understand, having an MA can focus your studies and allow you to avoid non-essential electives (e.g. advanced game theory, which you can take as an MA student or something) in you phd program, which plus having an easier time with your coursework/comps/field exams gives you a slight headstart on writing your thesis. Even so, trying to squeeze out a phd in 4 years rather than 5 just means that your interview process at the end will be more hectic and likely less successful, so it usually won't shorten your program.

Out of curiosity, how does that work?

Do you mean part-time, for two years?

I'm sorry, I don't know for sure, I just remember seeing that on a friends acceptance there a couple years ago. I think that the idea was that you could stay for two years if you were thinking of getting a PhD so you could spend more time on your thesis and/or taking match classes. I never understood the tuition thing, so maybe I misread it.

Your situation may be very different from mine, but I've applied to several MA programs in the Cal State system. I'll throw in my reasons for pursuing an MA in case you find the input useful.

• I have no research assistantships, nor do I have an honors thesis. I am currently leading a small optional for-credit tutoring session for Micro-Principles students. I'm currently attracted to the PhD because it will allow me to be a university professor, so more experience will let me know if this is really the direction I want to take.
  • If it turns out that I don't really want to go for a PhD, the extra math classes I take will be useful in the actuarial field, my "tied-for-first" career goal.
  • My undergraduate Economics program places a very low premium on mathematics relative to more prestigious programs. The MA programs I'm applying to require more advanced mathematics, albeit not as hardcore as PhD programs. In addition, the MA programs I'm applying to are all part-time, so I can take tons of supplemental math classes to prepare for PhD courses.
  • Despite a 4.00 in undergraduate Economics, my cumulative GPA is 3.75 for the last 60 units because I didn't drop this one course properly and got the point-equivalent of an F. If that wasn't bad enough, when you count my first few years at a different college/different major, my GPA was so low that my cumulative GPA today is 3.13... high enough to meet the Cal State requirements, but so bad that I didn't bother applying to more prestigious MA programs like NYU or LSE. Completing a masters' program with supplemental math and getting a 4.00 may provide a strong signal.

I doubt I would have had the ability to qualify for a scholarship given my abysmal academic record. Since the Cal State MA costs a paltry $4,000/yr for in-state students like me, that makes it the best deal.