Urch Forums

Gatech MS Econ Or Vandy GPED?

shirlly

odds are you are the only person who knows anything about either program on these forums

That's only 50 % true. :D

To OP: The GPED program has been discussed before in this forum, so check out a few old threads. I partially applied to the program (didn't send in everything), and from my research at that time it looked like a good program for stepping on to a better PhD. The coureswork looked rigorous enough and 2 years gave sufficient time to pursue research interests as well (mine were growth at that time).

My only concern was about placements as they remained pretty quiet on this issue and didn't reply to any of my emails.

I don't know anything about the GPED, but know that Tech sells their masters as a professional degree, not an academic one. They are a department that does not offer a PhD, and most of their professors are not especially productive. They only require that you take the principles courses and calc I before entering, so that might tell you something about how rigorous the program is. I had a professor that taught at Tech for a bit, and he described it as a department that was going to get better (trying to get a PhD program going) but not that good right now. This is partially because they don't have much support from the university as a whole, which is pretty hardcore in engineering but not so much in anything else.

If you are using this as a springboard to a US PhD, just be careful. I don't think it will do you much good, but who knows, if you ace it and can get your professors to attest that you are the best they've ever seen, it might work out. If you are doing a masters and planning on going into industry or government after, I think you'll find that the university has a good reputation, and that will help you get jobs, especially in the Atlanta area.

I believe GT's PhD program will start in Fall 2010.

That sounds plausible. My prof initially told me it was starting in Fall '09, but I think I remember them having to push it back. Having a PhD program could have positive externalities on the MS program, if the OP wants to consider that. Maybe better profs, better students..?

I can confirm Tech won't start its PhD program until fall 2010, and that, yes, it got pushed back from this fall. Not knowing anything about the OP's interests, I'd say go to Vandy. I concur (again!) that the econ dept. is not high on the Institute's priority list. Feeling like you're towards the bottom of the totem pole is not a good feeling to have when you're a grad student, I'd imagine. With that said, I fully believe Tech will get a lot better one day. Just not next year.