Urch Forums

Asking for 9/10 month stipend instead of a 12 month?

twelvehouses

I received an offer for a 12-month stipend which would naturally involve me working in the summer too. I understand that summer-funding is something that many students find desirable so the department might be offering this to make the deal better rather than worse. However, I would prefer to have the summer off, at least for the end of the first year, and would be happy to receive a reasonable stipend cut to not work during this time. I was wondering how would it come off if I asked for this? First, would it be like I am asking for a better deal than I already have? And second, from a personal perspective, would I come off as being lazy or spoiled or something along those lines?

[i have another TM username but decided to use this one b/c my profile/admissions information is connected with the other one and wanted to preserve more anonymity to ask this question (certainly being overly careful). I hope the moderators will understand this and not consider this to be a violation of the rules.]

It's my impression that most programs will allow you to opt out of summer obligations (many insist upon it if you failed your prelims and need the summer to study for the re-take); however, they reduce the stipend by a pro-rated amount. So if you're getting $24k/yr and want three months off, then you're stipend will be reduced by $6k to $18k.